1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Who are your favorite egg layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Frenzie, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    We are making another coop, and so we are getting some more good egg layers, I was looking in chicken breeds and found these guys do you think they would be okay? Or are they mean.. or do you have any good egg layers who are nice?
    ~Production
    ~Russian orloff (For my joyfulness... )
    ~Welsummer
    ~Araucana (For another green egg layer)

Currently we have smoe goood egg layers like,
    ~Amerucana
    ~Black Austrolorp
    ~Rhode Island Red
    But the other three are small egg layers/ and the other one only lays a big egg like every 3 days...
    Any throughts? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    If your simply looking for a chicken that lays large eggs and often White Leghorns are the best that I know of. I have 16 different breeds of chicken here in PA and since my white leghorn started laying back in Sept she has only missed 3 days. Her eggs are the biggest of any other egg that I get and she has laid double yolkers 3 times. A Sussex is also a good layer but still not as good as a white leghorn.

3. tobin123

tobin123 Songster

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    gotta agree leghorn for white eggs and red sexlinks for brown eggs

4. hardmanzz93

hardmanzz93 In the Brooder

Jan 4, 2011
    im not sure if you have the isa browns in the usa i havnt heard much chat about them but i have lots and they are AMAZING layers never go broody and without fail will hav 1 egg per hen every lunch time!

5. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Songster

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    If you like large brown eggs, my golden Comets, of which I have four are impressive egg layers, IMO. My EEs lay nice medium size eggs and often, but the GCs eggs are larger.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Songster

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I like my RIR"S their always laying eggs. I thought about getting another breed but I'm sticking with the RIR"S. I'm gonna hatch some of my own for more eggs.

7. abhaya

abhaya Songster

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I like my RIR and black austrolorp for large brown eggs

8. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chirping

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    Here in Michigan I have Isa Browns for nice big brown eggs, & White Leghorns for nice White eggs. My Barred Rocks lay a nice egg too. I have an EE for color as well as Black Copper Marans.

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Crowing Premium Member

Red Sex links outlay just about anything in brown egg field. Not much to eat at the end though. If it is eggs you want, with awesome feed conversion, then any of the super, genetically high wired Red Sex Links will really produce, for about 18 months. 6 or 7 eggs a week, every week. The slower growing Rocks, Sussex, etc I have had cannot come close to those numbers and their feed intake is higher. Decisions, Decisions.

10. blueseal

blueseal Songster

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i like my white leghorns i have 2. they lay about everyday they might miss one day a week. i will be getting more . rhode island reds are good to. my cinnamon queens im not to pleased with they are going on 2 years old and they havent given many eggs. maybe just got a bad group of them. my new black sex links are off to a good start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: