Who did it? Rooster, hens, or both?

Krispatterson

Hatching
Apr 20, 2021
Okay so im 2 years into having chickens... I have one rooster and I had 4 hens.. 2 hens from the same breed as rooster and 2 bought at store... Yesterday I let them out to roam our yard... One of the chickens had missing feathers on her saddle but was okay(one of the hens from the store).. I did notice though that she didnt follow the others around the yard.. I never heard anything throughout the day that sounded like fighting or yelling... Went to lock up the pen that night amd noticed she was missing... I eventually founf her higing behind this extra fensing but she was beet up badly... Bleeding with ounctures in her back and same woth her neck and head.. She wouldmt move but was alive but I could hear her wheezing when she was breathing... Where I live there arent any animals or preditors that can get into the yard undetected... We have very protective dogs.. I know it wasnt them or a predator... When we picked her up i was surprised she was alive... Her eyes were gone and she had holes in her... Sje was barely alive to he honest... But the other chickens and rooster didnt seem bothered or distressed at all... Im pretty sure they are the cause but how do I know if it was the rooster or hens or both.. She wasnt sick... And they had never had a problem for the almost 2 years they lived together..

Any thoughts?

Where are you located? A hawk might be responsible. Have you spent some time with the chickens to watch the rooster’s behavior? I had a young cockerel who scalped and severly hurt a hen who did not want him to mate her. Sorry for your loss.

Where are you located? A hawk might be responsible. Have you spent some time with the chickens to watch the rooster’s behavior? I had a young cockerel who scalped and severly hurt a hen who did not want him to mate her. Sorry for your loss.
I live in los lungs new mexico... But where I live everyone has chickens and dogs... None of their chickens have had issues... And I dont see hawks out here...

When i got the rooster he came with 2 hens... And he actually used to be picked on... At one point he lost his long beautiful tail feathers from them being plucked by the hens... But that stopped.. Shortly after... I got the other hens a month after I got the rooster and his hens and they have been together for well over a year with no issues...

Im not going to lie i cried... She was one i got as a baby.. I had to have my husband put her out of her misery...

Back
Top Bottom