Who did it (warning: image included)

HenSolo123

Chirping
Feb 24, 2023
My three bantams free range my suburban backyard by day, put themselves in the coop at night when the sun starts to set, and then I go lock them in before bed. We’ve been doing this without problem since spring. Last night I got home a little later than usual at 9 PM, one was missing from the coop. I searched my backyard to find half of her and feathers everywhere. Located in Kentucky for reference to wildlife. Wondering guesses on what may have done this so I can better protect the remaining two chickens I have? (Please don’t suggest getting a roo, I can’t have one) I hate the idea of keeping them locked in their coop tiny run all day every day; my small backyard doesn’t allow for a large run and I want them to roam and enjoy life

78046ABA-2DC8-407B-B100-5C69402FCEBE.jpeg

Looks almost like a raptor kill - perhaps a Great Horned Owl. Bottom line is be on high alert as the predator will be back.

depends when it happened .. hawks usually get them in early morning as they roam ..if it was snatched out of the coop in the evening could be anything from a house cat to a coon .. i had a possum getting into my coop, would kill a couple and drag one off once a week or so .. so i baited it, staked it out, and dealt with it manually -

Back
Top Bottom