who do you order your veggie seeds from

I've ordered seeds and plants from Gurney's and Fields for years, mostly Gurneys. I have two very old rose bushes that I paid 59 cents for from Gurneys.

Gurney's and Fields are now owned by the same company. Probably most old family seed companies have been bought out. I ordered wall-o-water and row covers from Gurney's and Fields the last two years with their "buy $25 and get $25 free" certificates.

Last year I bought a Lil Big Pixie Crunch apple tree. It doesn't say in the description but you need a pollinator. I emailed the company and they sent a couple of suggestions. I ordered a Liberty apple tree as my pollinator. I have one old tree, a semi-dwarf Jersey-Mac, that I ordered from Stark Bros. probably 30 years ago. It is dying. I have a lot of cedar trees around and they cause a rust on the apple trees. Also, frost is a problem. We planted these on the south side of our garage and they should be small enough that I can cover during a frost.

Wow I didnt know they can live that long! I would guess red delicious apple tree would be a suitable pollinator for Gala trees.

I dont need like half a bushel but a little more in between the dwarf and full sized tree since we live near power lines and want ease of trimmings and cuttings without using too much time on a ladder and spraying.

Vemont Bean Seed for beans

Harris for herbs and carrots and various other

Jordan for corn and some other stuff

Territorial for lettuce

HPS for peppers and cuc's

Totally Tomatoes for tomatoes

They all have great website ordering except Jordan which is a Minnesota local place.

I buy about $300. worth of seeds every year. Prices for the same varieties can vary from $3.00 for 25 seeds to $1.55 for 300. It pays to shop around.

Parks and Burpee are expensive as are many 'heritage seed' places.

Territorial Seeds

They are developed and grown in my area. This way we know they grow well in our conditions. They have a large variety and I have always been happy with their germination rate and with the plants' vigor.

I have always had great luckwith seeds from Vesey's out of Prince Edward Island, and Johnny's Select seeds out of Albion, Maine. Johnnie's has a lot of organic seed , and Vesey's has a lot of heirloom tomatoes and such. Both catalogs have a lot of information on growing practices, planting charts, etc. They both have websites.

Forgot about Johnny's, good place. Also Pinetree has some good cheap stuff.

I like Territorial for reading about the varieties, but then I'll buy them elsewhere. Naughty me!
big_smile.png

I'll be ordering most of my seeds from Pinetree this year. My mom and I are getting a small plot at the retirement community where my folks live. I have too much shade at my property from the neighbors' trees. I'm so excited!

Back
Top Bottom