Who does my rooster crow?

generalmills628

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 29, 2014
My rooster is a 6 month old buff orpington, he was crowing a lot today at around 3:15 CT and didn't know the reason for it. I didn't know if it's weather related because we just got put in a tornado watch here in SW Oklahoma. Or it's because he can finally crow strongly. Its weird because I've never heard him crow other than in the morning.

They will crow an time of day or night, for a number of reasons. Sometimes we can guess why and sometimes not. He may have just felt like it, he may have been showing off for someone, he may have thought he heard another chicken crow -- on and on. They don't limit it to mornings, for sure.

It all depends on the rooster. We had some that would crow just once to let us know that it was time to let them out, and some that would crow endlessly. It could be for anything. If they THINK there is a predator they could crow, even if they don't see anything.

They will crow an time of day or night, for a number of reasons.  Sometimes we can guess why and sometimes not.  He may have just felt like it, he may have been showing off for someone, he may have thought he heard another chicken crow -- on and on.  They don't limit it to mornings, for sure.

Thanks! I'm new to roosters and chickens in general. But about 400 yards away from us, our neighbors have peacocks and chickens that are constantly talking, so that's probably what got RJ (my rooster) talking.

Because he can
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom