Who dumps poultry?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fledgling, Feb 4, 2012.

1. fledgling

fledgling Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I mean, really. A stray rooster showed up a few days ago when I was locking up our layers. It was dark and I couldn't figure out why our black hen 'forgot' her way into the coop. I finally just scooped her up and shoved her in. Then, a brief pause. Wait a minute, she's not normally that friendly! I peeked back in for a head count. 8? Since when do we have eight?

He's a young, very dark, reddish black RIR type rooster with a very shiny blackish-green tail. Overall, he's lovely. However, we have a rooster and he can't stay.

*sigh* I need to look up when the next Florida chicken swap is. Think anyone will want him? He is very sweet. No crowing yet, but he's a big boy already.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I would check around the area. Maybe it just got scared by something and chased a long ways. I don't think it would be friendly if someone didn't care about it.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Ive seen a few dumped [​IMG], hopefully your new one has a home and just got lost/ chased off like mstricer says. The other night I thought a goose had gotten dumped off, turned out to be my dd with a stuffy nose sounding like a honking goose as she slept.[​IMG] Good luck finding him a home.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What is it with Florida and wandering roosters? [​IMG] If I remember correctly there are several members who live in Florida and have had roosters wander into their yard. Even my sister, who lives in an exclusive golfing community, has had roosters come into her yard.

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I have a feral rooster that took up here too. I think in Fl that they can at least survive the winter weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by