1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who else doesn't name their chickens? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CentralOregon, Aug 14, 2014.

1. CentralOregon

CentralOregon Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    Bend, Oregon
    At my place, the chickens are all just collectively referred to as chickens and I haven't seen a need to name them. Quite the opposite. In fact, naming them makes it tougher (for some, not necessarily for myself) to harvest the birds for food, so I have forbidden anyone from naming them. Anyway, just curious who else might think that not naming their birds is the better way to go.

2. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I have a few with names, but those won't ever go to freezer camp. The rest of mine will go to camp, and are just clucked to if I need them to come to me. I have a hard time processing a bird that has a name.

3. Janis R

Janis R Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    You can name the, like Cordon Bleu, Fricassee, Dumpling, Fried, Stew, A la King, Tetrazzini, Curry, Kung Pao, etc. Just joking, I don't name mine either.

4. SMonroe1990

SMonroe1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2014
    New York
    I don't name my either. My DH named one of ours and that is the only one that has the name. The others are just "Chick".

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    It totally makes sense not to name chickens that are going to get processed for food. Although you will probably find more people who don't name the chickens on the meat chicken section of the forum. Here on the Pictures & Stories section of the forum we tend to have egg layers who become pets whether we intended it from the beginning or not.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    If I name it I ain't eating it.

7. Housemom408

Housemom408 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2014
    I don't name mine. They are all called chicken. I did band my young males so I could decide which one I wanted to keep. So they were referred to by the color of the band. Don't know if that counts?

8. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    I never named mine in the past because they were all the same breed and very hard to tell apart. This time I got a mixed flock and I have been going back and forth with the name thing. I did buy dual purpose birds. I really don't have any intentions of eating this flock but, just incase I decided on dual purpose. Mostly to satisfy hubby! Name or no name if they stop paying their rent, they will probably end up in the stew pot!

9. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Most of my hens are named but it takes a while as I wait until something appropriate pops into my head. Just a few younger ones unnamed yet, but I can tell them all apart.
    When the kids were small we got 25 meat birds so we forbid the kids from naming them and making pets of them. Next thing you know we heard the kids talking: Where's 24? 3 and 7 were in the garden. Etc. They had the whole contingent numbered. Does that count as naming them?

10. Xiao Casa

Xiao Casa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    South Texas
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by