Who else got chick fever this year?!!!

Pics

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
I started my flock last year 4 jersey giants and two buff Orpingtons all hens then when they were olde I adopted a rooster thing went well for a year then my rooster needed to be rehomed I was heart broken but I couldn't do anything else I found him a great home still I was sad the lady felt bad and gave me three chicks two calico Cochins and a frizzle Cochin!!!! Soon I added four silkie chicks and adopted a blue laced Wyandotte!!! My two calico Cochins are cocks so yes I got chick fever and learned all about chicken math what about you?!

Me, me. me! I resisted buying any chicks last year, so I was -- at least in my own mind -- overdue. A few hens had passed away, so there was space for more chickens. I needed to refill the coops, right?

The local feed store posted a schedule of expected breeds but was having supply issues. So, even though I REALLY wanted two (just two!) Sapphire Olive Eggers, I wasn't sure they would come in. I bought two Sapphire Splashes instead.

Then, the next week, Olive Eggers arrived. Well, it couldn't hurt to get two more, could it? Sadly, one little one died -- first time I've ever lost an indoor brooded chick. I went to buy feed Friday, and the store had even more chicks, including Calico Princesses (cute little reddish babies that were supposed to come in two weeks ago) and, wonder of wonder, they had Midnight Majesty Marans, which weren't due for three more weeks.

I was only going to get ONE chick to replace the lost Olive Egger, but came home with two Princesses and a Marans. All told, there are now six chicks in the brooder. Of course, they are going to outgrow it much faster since there are so many of them.

I should probably just send someone else into the feed store with my money so I don't came home with any more babies!!

I started my flock last year 4 jersey giants and two buff Orpingtons all hens then when they were olde I adopted a rooster thing went well for a year then my rooster needed to be rehomed I was heart broken but I couldn't do anything else I found him a great home still I was sad the lady felt bad and gave me three chicks two calico Cochins and a frizzle Cochin!!!! Soon I added four silkie chicks and adopted a blue laced Wyandotte!!! My two calico Cochins are cocks so yes I got chick fever and learned all about chicken math what about you?!
I am dying! I cant wait to see how many hatch out of the incubator! I have 21 chicken and one duck egg in there. The math is mathing!

Oh yeahhh, chicken math became real this year! I had decided that this year we needed to restock our flock, as we had taken some losses over the past year. I had decided about 10-15 chicks would be a good number. Anywayyyyyyyssss, stuff and things happened, chicks were too cute for their own good, and I ended up with 32 chicks and 4 ducklings :D

Our friend had given us her hens because she couldn’t have them anymore and we were all maxed out in coop space so we had to cancel our chick ordered 😔. Then we had predator issues and lost three hens. And by some miracle I had “forgot” to cancel the order so the babies came. One of the hen we lost was a favorite so we hatched her eggs. We are only keeping one a friend is coming to pick the rest up today.

Our friend had given us her hens because she couldn’t have them anymore and we were all maxed out in coop space so we had to cancel our chick ordered 😔. Then we had predator issues and lost three hens. And by some miracle I had “forgot” to cancel the order so the babies came. One of the hen we lost was a favorite so we hatched her eggs. We are only keeping one a friend is coming to pick the rest up today.
"Forgot" 🤣🤣🤣

We got chickens 3 years ago, we wanted 6, so we bought 5 chicks, 2 were roos so we replaced them with 4 POL GCs. By the end of the summer we had 14 chickens and 6 guineas and 3 coops. We had a plan to get new chicks every other year. In year #2 we weren't going to get any chicks, so we bought 14 more and built another coop.

I thought I had chicken math figured out, last year, we made it all year with 0 chicken purchases, we were on track for the same this year until a BA went broody and we went to buy chicken feed as TSC and it went from we are not buying chicks to, maybe we could pop 4 chicks under the broody. So we went home with 7 chicks. And Juravenator doesn't want them, so now we have 7 chicks in the house and I'm having to integrate our current hens around to open up a coop for them. Yay chicken math! 😂

Back
Top Bottom