Who else got some 2013 chicks?!

I got four chicks back in April and just got two Marans.

I ordered alot of chickens this year, my first year in raising them since I was little....so I may have over done it. I ordered 25 from McMurray, mostly heavy breed layers and a couple polish. 15 asst. bantams from MyPetChicken. Another order from McMurray for 50 boilers and I snuck in another 15 layers :/. A pair of sebastapol geese from Purely Poultry and 6 call ducks from efowl. !!! /whew. I was really displeased with the quality of birds I got from McMurray and MPC, the light brahmas have black all over them and the black australorps have white feathers on their chests. Hatchery stock I guess. There are a select few that I adore though, the ones with personalities, go figure lol.

I raised 60 SLWs and about 15 silkies and other banties on my first go around with chicks this year, and all of them are now in the general population (an 80x8 foot covered run with attached coops), along with the four turkeys that were little tiny poults just three months ago. They are massive now. We ended the year last year with only 15 adult chickens (10 silkies, 2 barred rocks, 3 copper morans and one RIR). In my brooder I presently have 50 week-old Cornish X's, which will be going into a new covered outdoor run I am building (30 x 12 feet), in about two more weeks. The four turkeys will go in there with them, and will be finished off with a 22 percent meat bird food. As soon as the CX are out of the brooder, I am expecting 50 Buff Orpingtons and 50 Easter Egg chicks.

Cornish x rocks *shiver* never again! Horrible smelly things. Lol. I have 15 buff orpingtons and 10 light Sussex coming either tomorrow morning or Thursday. After that I have to cut myself off for the year, cold turkey. I have to do some trimming on the flock so I can do it all again next year, muhaha, sorry blacked out there :p. Minus the Cornish that is.

Cornish x rocks *shiver* never again! Horrible smelly things.
They actually smell worse than other breeds of chicks? Really? Maybe it was the number of chick and not the breed? I know that this is the first year we have had more than six chicks in the brooder at once and OMG the stench in the utility room was unbelievable!.

LOL.....the best way to deal with the Cornish X "smell" is to be an incompetent carpenter. Take myself for instance. I built my outdoor brooder, and unintentionally installed the roof rafters in such a way that there is tremendously-good ventilation.
celebrate.gif
Actually, it is very weatherproof and has terrific ventilation and is totally predator proof. Its just that anyone who knows what they are doing would have never done it that way. I made a lot of mistakes building my covered run and my brooder barn, but they are working out very well nonetheless.

Additionally, I am building a new "wing" on the covered run and there will be no lack of ventilation on that either. I have had no issues with excessive smell, even now with my preexisting covered run holding some 80 birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom