Who else is getting chicks tomorrow at TSC??

Quote:
Golden Comets are great if you just want actually a kind of dark brown egg. I have two and they are good layers, maybe the best I have. Well, I had four, but gave two back to my DIL as something killed two of hers.

About the brooder box. I have a frame I covered with chicken wire that is hinged so I can just lift it a bit and do what I have to do without using two hand to move the lid on and off. Yes, it is surprising how well they can fly and how young they can do it.
tongue.png

we picked up 8 chicks at our local TSC yesterday! we lost two of our girls over the winter, leaving us with two girls and one rooster. the 8 we got yesterday were pullets, but no idea what breed they are. 4 are black, the sign said 'commercial black' and i can't find a reference for that yet. the other 4 are yellow, i hope they don't turn out to be leghorns, but will eat and sell those eggs even if they are!

we have them for now in the basement, with a single heat lamp. last year i ran across a guy selling those 250 gallon plastic water tanks that are caged in really cheap. I bought a couple of them. I cut one off at the 140 gallon mark to use for a water trough for my horses. the top has been sitting out behind the garage. not any more! it's about 2 1/2 by 3 feet, probably between 16 and 18 inches deep. a couple of inches of pine shavings in the bottom, a 1 quart water fountain and a 1 quart mason jar on a chick feeder and the girls are happy!

now i know i have a couple of weeks to get a bigger place ready for them. TSC had a redwood sided pen and run i may invest in for temporary housing. I plan on building a much nicer coop and run once the weather breaks for all the girls (and guy). I've already been thinking how i can divide it to give the chicks separate but viewable quarters so they can all get to know each other!

having so much fun watchin those chick scamper back and forth. now to go pick which coop and run on here i'm going to 'borrow' ideas from.. happy chick farming!

I picked up 6 Golden Comets today at Tractor Supply. I was glad they lowered the minimum to only 6. He said it was the state law. I was like bull but whatever. Last year it was 25 so I went to the Smith's hardware down the road and got 5 RIR's. I still want to get 6 more chicks but I want them to be EE's. I'll have to wait till Smith's gets their chicks end of the month. It's so nice to hear the little peeps again.

I just called our local TSC to see if they had any ducks in yet, the girl said that they just sold out this morning but were expecting some more in on Tuesday.
I asked her what kind of ducks they were getting, and she replied "straight run"
so I said, no, what breed, not gender.
and she said that the breed of duck they have is "Straight run".
so, I knew i shouldn't but, I had to ask... Are you going to get in any Pekin ducks?
she said "well, they all will probably peck a little bit".

I hung up the phone.

Quote:
are you joking???? That is soooo funny...funnier than this that happened to me today:

We went to a job site to see about the scrap wood/plywood today..
Kevin the head contractor (on a place thats almost done being worked on) whom we know by
acquaintance wasnt there but his worker was..who I had no clue
who it was...this is soooo bad its hilarious...

I drove up in my van w/hubby...
this burly early 30's guy walks up to the van all the while flipping TWO birds at us with arm motions to boot..
I was like WTHeck?

he walked up and seen it was me and freaked out..said OMG I AM SO SORRY I FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT I THOUGHT
IT WAS MY FRIEND so and so..meanwhile DH and I are really really cracking up...poor guy lolol...

I said uh...I think you owe me dinner now LMBO...
he was super embarassed..SUPER...

I think between you and me...we had good laugsh today! LOL

Back
Top Bottom