Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Congratulations on the new found freedom from the egg cooler at the grocery store!

woot.gif

Got my first egg today! I have 3 Rir's and 3 ISA Browns all approx 16 weeks old , got em at Rural King in April 9th I think the ehh came from one of the ISA. She was trying to build a nest in the corner of the coop next to the nest boxes so I stuck a board there to keep her from laying there. I tried putting her in the box with the fake egg but she kept coming out and looking around the coop. She finally started exploring the boxes and scratching around so I let her be. Came back after running errands and found an egg outside on the ground in the middle of the run.
How long can an egg set out without being refrigerated?

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe.aspx#axzz3CBibHM1w
This article is on long term storage of eggs.

This should help keep it clear on egg storage. I figured others may want to read it too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/947884/egg-handling

Mine are on the counter unwashed in the egg basket until time to use them. I wash them right before I use them. The only time I wash otherwise is if someone is buying some eggs from me. YES that happens a lot around here.

When washing eggs use the hottest water you can stand to have your hands in and scrub them gently. I use a soft sponge that gets bleached when I am done.

If you wash them they MUST be stored in the fridge. Unwashed sitting on my counter for about a week tops. (Never had one go bad they just get used or sold to fast for that.)

Last edited:
I have 6 freeloaders... err chickens that are about 24 weeks old and still not laying. They get a pass for another week or so because last weekend we lost 3 of their flock mates including a young roo and 4 ducks to boot to a rogue coyote or a fox so they are understandably shaken up but I can't wait to get my first egg. Our Columbian Plymouth Rock has been close to laying for 4 weeks but she barely made it through the attack alive to I'm sure she is still traumatized, my 2 golden comets and my RIR also are shaken up and my 2 buff brahmas are not even close to being ready lo lay based on combs, wattles and bone distance.

Last edited:
Here is our first egg. It's tan in color with a light pink blush.

We don't care if it's diminutive in size, it's as big as a golden goose's egg to us. In the background, you can see two of our 4 Buff O hens, our Speckled Sussex hen and one of our welsummer roosters. The way the roosters are strutting around you would think they laid the egg!

Its still morning and I have 7 eggs so far with one of our ladies currently in the nest. They all seem to like the one nest although I've also had to keep my eyes and ears peeled for the alternate nesting sites. Lacey has decided that the footwell of the ford capri in the carport is her preference and Cinnamon has a nest in the long grass near our front ramp. All the others are currently queuing for their turn at the nest or getting nice and cosy with each other.

Read on one of the news sites that they are predicting egg prices at 6$ per dozen. C'mon girls, start squeezin them out, momma needs an omelet!:yiipchick

Lol I heard that too!

I was gone for 2 days, came home to 9 beautiful eggs, all in the nest box. Plus a puddle that I expect was a soft one that they ate, not in the box. I've only gotten 4 on any day, so I apparently have another new layer!

Back
Top Bottom