Who else is waiting for that first egg?

My first day of getting 8 eggs from 8 hens! Yeah!! Had gotten 7 for a couple days. And we just moved the girls to our other location, so I was surprised they laid at all. Tomorrow may be a different story...

8 pretty eggs from 8 pretty golden comets!
1f60a.png

We got out first egg! My GSL started singing yesterday but I found no egg.. Today I heard her sing at about 11 AM but didn't go right away to look. I went out just now and found a small brown egg!

Make that 2 eggs! Not sure who the second one is from but I suspect my RIR! Went to take them some cantaloupe and looked in the boxes again just for fun and found egg #2!

Of the two brown eggs are they both barred rock or one barred rock and one Rhode Island red? Or is it even possible to tell? I'm trying to figure out who is laying the darker egg because she keeps laying on the floor. I know I've seen every last one of them in the boxes so idk what the deal is
Not really possible to tell. They both lay medium brown eggs. The shades can vary from hen to hen, of the same breed. 'Oh, this Barred Rock laid this shade of brown, so all other Barred Rocks will lay this same, exact shade,' is not the way it works. Wish it did sometimes though, it sure would make it easier to tell my Barred Rocks' eggs from my Australorps' eggs.

hoarder...hee hee, beautiful!!!  We blew out first of everyones out...in a basket in the kitchen...reminder now of how precious and seemingly magical they were!  

How did you blow out the egg?? I would love to do that!

Rose has been consistent every day laying! Getting bigger and bigger every day! First day on the right, today's on the left. I've got another one that has a very red comb and started squatting about a week ago. When should she start laying? They are now 20 weeks old.

Rose has been consistent every day laying! Getting bigger and bigger every day! First day on the right, today's on the left. I've got another one that has a very red comb and started squatting about a week ago. When should she start laying? They are now 20 weeks old.

I don't think Rose laid that second one. It looks like a different color. Looks like both girls are laying to me.

So, we have 19 week old BO's and GLW's, 18 week old SLW's and BO's, 17 week old Isa's, and 16 week old BR's. We found our first two eggs on Monday. Two more on Tuesday and Wednesday. Three on Thursday and Friday. They are all pretty small eggs except for two double-yolkers :)

Our wait is over!!!!! In typical fashion, my 5 and 6 year old daughters were carrying the egg around inside a foam carton with 4 hands on the carton to make sure the egg stayed safe. They woke their three year old brother up from his nap to show him the egg. The two girls, the boy, and the foam carton with the egg in it moved to the kitchen where the boy decided he had to pick it up. Of course, Dad alloweed it and he dropped our very first egg on the floor.

DW and I laughed while the girls might have thought the world was going to end--in about 5 seconds the boy wasted a ton of the girls' efforts to keep the egg safe. I finished breaking the egg open on the floor and called the dog into the room. In one slurp our first egg was gone. I was thankful when we found that second egg and then more in the days to come.
Ha Ha The joys of grandchildren! Such fun.

I agree with Tasha! Mine will vary in shade slightly from day to day, but those are definitely different colors! I think both your girls are laying.

ETA - both very pretty colors though! Congrats!

Last edited:
I don't think Rose laid that second one. It looks like a different color. Looks like both girls are laying to me.
I'm only getting one egg a day. If both were laying they would be more than that. Plus the other one that is showing signs of laying is an Easter egger. Only the first 2 looked like that on the right. The rest all look like on the left only gotten bigger.

Back
Top Bottom