Who else is waiting for that first egg?

My husband keeps saying I have a rooster and I tell him no it's the egg song he thinks I'm crazy!
They are noisy little creatures
wink.png

But a rooster sounds different.

My white leghorn went all broody on my today. She has been laying the longest and I was outside and thought man she's been in the box for some time so u went to check on her and she was standing over 3 eggs (1 hers and 2 EE eggs) and so I let her be thinking shed be out in a few minutes. Nope. Went back in a while later and she was laying on them and puffed up and shreeking at me. I reached under her and took the eggs and after I took them inside I took her out of the box and put her in the run. Will she stop laying for a while now? Do you think she'll do it again? I'd like to hatch some chicks in the spring

So I'm assuming they don't sing after every lay? I have one that just does her thing and goes on about her day. I think she maybe pulling out some of her feathers when she lays not a lot jus a few.... Is that normal? I know it's her because the feathers are a gray and she's is gray from the bottom of her wings down.
I have one out of four that "sing" and not every time. I have noticed when she lays a little bit bigger of an egg and it takes her a little longer is when she really carries on. It's like she is impressed with herself.

I have one that will wait till 5 or 10 mins after she lays then will sing. She used to always lay when I was in the coop and make her way up one the poop board next to me and sing it to me as loud as she could. Talk about ear piercing! Lol she's always been a fiesty one hence her name sriracha.

Finally!!
Two of my four Black Australorps hit the six month mark and left me this present today. The other two should follow shortly.
I think it's time for a bacon cheeseburger with a fresh fried egg on top. Whohoo!'

Oh man, 6 months is a long time. Congrats. I have 2 black australorps and waiting for any of my hens to lay... but they are 18 weeks old and although one is redder in the face than the other, they both don't have full blown comb and wattles. I guess I have to be very patient!

I'm waiting! I still might have a ways to go yet though. My oldest are EEs and they are coming up on 16 weeks on Saturday. This is my flock of girls so far.
4- EE
1-OE
1- Buckeye
1- Buff Orp
1- Lav Orp
1-Black Orp
1-Blue Cochin

My boys are
4-EE
3-Buff Orp
1-Blue Cochin

Jury is still out on the babies
2- Buckeye
2- Buff Brahma
1-Splash Orp

Oh man, 6 months is a long time. Congrats. I have 2 black australorps and waiting for any of my hens to lay... but they are 18 weeks old and although one is redder in the face than the other, they both don't have full blown comb and wattles. I guess I have to be very patient! 
I think the threat I made Sunday of having some chicken Parmesan if I don't see any eggs might have worked. Lol

Back
Top Bottom