Who else is waiting for that first egg?

I got my first beautiful brown egg today!

Oooh, pretty, Val! I'm jealous!

So we thought one of our girls was never going to lay as she is 25 weeks. Until last night I saw an egg sitting on the top rooster ever so balanced that I swore my husband put it there. Come to find out she had found a part of the roof that she could nest in. We found 11 eggs in total with only 1 that had cracked .
So to say the least she has finally been lying and we had to put up chicken wire to keep her out of the roof.

Last edited:
So we thought one of our girls was never going to lay as she is 25 weeks. Until last night I saw an egg sitting on the top rooster ever so balanced that I swore my husband put it there. Come to find out she had found a part of the roof that she could nest in. We found 11 eggs in total with only 1 that had cracked .
So to say the least she has finally been lying and we had to put up chicken wire to keep her out of the roof.

Sneaky little booger. Glad you finally found them. Your nose might have found them in a few more weeks! Haha

I am. And starting to get frustrated. I have 3 buff orp, 1 wyondottes, 2 Americana. All about 6months. Got impatient and got a one year old barred rock and 1 cinnamon queen who aren't laying. I'm assuming due to the move.

I think I heard the egg song today. I seriously didn't believe it when I read it last night, but today one hen sounded like she was preparing! Hopefully I'm right.

Don't be surprised if you start hearing a different "song" from each bird, too. I can usually tell which one is laying an egg right that minute by the sounds from the coop. They all make a different noise.

Sometimes they make noises at each other too. Two of mine lay back to back, one right after the other, and they insist upon using the same nest box even though there are two boxes. Matilda will lay hers first, and while she's singing her egg son, Rosie will stand on the ground in front of the box squawking at her like an impatient teenager when someone else is using the bathroom. Then as soon as Matilda gets down, Rosie gets in the box and starts her egg song, which is different from her impatient-teenager-squawking.

It happened. I guess they were singing the egg song! I came home from work tonight and decided I would give it a check. There it was, right with the ceramic eggs. I am so excited. We purchased 6 on the first day of spring, 1 took ill and we lost her, 1 ended up being a HIM, and now one of our 4 girls are laying. Can't wait for more!!!

What breed is she? She looks too young to be close to lay yet, but do take that with a grain or three of salt; I'm only in my first year of chicken-keeping and basing it off my own birds. None of mine were laying while their combs and wattles were small and pink like that. About a week after they got bigger and turned red, that's when I started getting eggs.

Back
Top Bottom