Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Yay for all the first eggs!!!! I forgot to mention my breeds. 2 EE's, 2 SLW (1 SLW turned out to be a cockerel) and 1 RSL she's my favorite. 12 weeks old and a few days. I feel that my RSL will be the first to lay. I need to get their nesting box ready! They free range most days but not all day because if I'm not home I don't leave them out and some days my dog wants more outdoor time than normal and he would eat them if I wasn't out there to watch over. But they are out a lot.

My silkies are 24 weeks old and I saw them trying to mate today so hopefully I'll be getting eggs soon. My RIR and others are only 20 weeks so they might be getting ready in a month or so I hope.

Mine are almost 17 weeks and still not roosting. They do the dog pile thing right up against the closed off nests. What do I do when it comes time for them to start laying and they're still doing the dog pile thing? I'm sure they'd love to cram into the nests.

Are your roosts actually suitable for chickens?

They need to be at least an inch wide, more for some breeds, preferably flat not round, at least a foot off the floor, higher than the top of any nest boxes and with in an easy jump for the chickens.

If they are good then at bedtime sprinkle some food or treats along the roost and put the chickens on it. They will be sleeping there in no time.

Also it's not unusual for every hen in a flock to lay in the same nest box and ignore the rest.

Last edited:
Are your roosts actually suitable for chickens?

They need to be at least an inch wide, more for some breeds, preferably flat not round, at least a foot off the floor, higher than the top of any nest boxes and with in an easy jump for the chickens.

If they are good then at bedtime sprinkle some food or treats along the roost and put the chickens on it. They will be sleeping there in no time.

Also it's not unusual for every hen in a flock to lay in the same nest box and ignore the rest.

2 x 4s with wide side up mounted about head height (18").

I think I'm going to make their favorite sleeping spot uncomfortable and add something that will encourage them to step up to the roost.

I have screened windows at the same height as the roosts. Is that possibly discouraging them from using it?

I actually put my chicks up on the roost a few times before they got the idea.
We put a roost in the run on 2 cinder blocks and they went right for it. Of course that was much lower than the 4' roost inside

2 x 4s with wide side up mounted about head height (18").

I think I'm going to make their favorite sleeping spot uncomfortable and add something that will encourage them to step up to the roost.

I have screened windows at the same height as the roosts. Is that possibly discouraging them from using it?

Yes, if there's a Breeze that blows across the roost they won't use it. You need to move it to a different spot.

Back
Top Bottom