Who else is waiting for that first egg?

I got an egg from every one of my barred Rocks for the first time yesterday. Still waiting on the Australorps and Easter Eggers. The Rocks are 23 weeks old. The others are 21 weeks on Tuesday.

Is it normal for a chicken to lay more than one egg a day? On a normal day I let them out of the pen in the morning to free range, yesterday they weren't let out until about 2 pm. So our first layer didn't lay yesterday (that I know of). But today I found her in the garage making a fuss because the dog was too close and wouldn't leave the corner, I saw 1 egg. I brought the dog in and she eventually left that spot. Once she left that spot we found 2 eggs, then my daughter watched her lay another in the nesting box. I just want to make sure she is ok. I am not 100% certain the 2 in the garage were from today, but would they be ok if 1 possibly sat there all day & night? She is an Isa Brown.

It usually takes 25 hours for an egg to move through a chicken. So in a perfect world, you chicken would lay an egg 1 hour later each day until it was to lay at night, at which point it will hold the egg until the next morning. The next egg should not start until the finished egg is released. I've heard of chickens laying 2 a day, so it's not impossible but it's not normal for it to be a frequent event. That's a lot of stress on the chicken to do 2 a day. If the egg you found was from a day before, it's ok to use if it sat out all night. They don't have to be refrigerated unless you wash the bloom off.

It usually takes 25 hours for an egg to move through a chicken. So in a perfect world, you chicken would lay an egg 1 hour later each day until it was to lay at night, at which point it will hold the egg until the next morning. The next egg should not start until the finished egg is released. I've heard of chickens laying 2 a day, so it's not impossible but it's not normal for it to be a frequent event. That's a lot of stress on the chicken to do 2 a day. If the egg you found was from a day before, it's ok to use if it sat out all night. They don't have to be refrigerated unless you wash the bloom off.

She is the only chicken that I know of that is laying, besides an unidentified duck. And she has been the only one in that area of the garage. She lays clean eggs so I haven't washed them.

Back
Top Bottom