Who else is waiting for that first egg?

I have 2 pulllets that are approximately 22 weeks old. Their combs and waddles have been red for about a month now and they have just started to squat, so I'm sure it won't be long now!

I just want to fast forward a little so I can get my first egg!  My girls are only 15 weeks old but I am really excited for that first egg! I know I probly have to wait another month or two.

I have
3 Dominiques 
3silver laced wyandottes
3 buff orpingtons
3 East eggers
3 Welsummers

I think my Dominiques will be first to lay.  Whats your guess? 

I am pretty sure my Easter eggers will be the last to lay because they are the ones I am most excited about.  And thats just my luck.

My little white leghorn was sitting in the nest box today. And the chicks know that they are not suppose to sit there for comfort, as was taught to them by the hens. If they want comfort, they sit on the roost, as all the other chicks (14 weeks) were doing. I wasn't expecting this as her comb and waddle are very undeveloped. I know she wouldn't squat for me, as she is not people friendly, and doesn't see me as her rooster. I can fit 2 fingers between her pelvic bones. I scared her off the nest when I opened the egg doors to get eggs, but she came back later and sat in the other nest with her momma. On another thread, someone said they had their 14 week old WL lay their first, and their comb and waddle was very undeveloped as well, so who knows? I might be getting a white egg soon.
big_smile.png
I shouldn't get my hopes up, it probably won't happen, but I am still excited.

I have 6 Rhode Island Reds. They are 17 weeks old. I got my first egg yesterday. We had to throw it out because we have been on vacation and my neighbor hadent checked for eggs since Wednesday. (She was just feeding and watering them, she didn't open up the coop) The second egg was in there today. :D I just have one question, will the eggs get bigger? I feel like it is really small.......

Some breeds lay eggs everyday while other lay every other day or even less frequently but no rooster is necessary to get them to lay eggs. Rooster is only necessary to get fertilized eggs.

Do some of them just never leg eggs? Do they need to see a rooster to get them started?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom