Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Quote:
I hope this is a support group for egg anxiety, because I have it! I a 28 week old Cream Legbar who isn't laying yet, and two 20 week olds - a Cuckoo Marans and an Easter Egger who are still a little young. But I'm anxiously awaiting some pretty eggs! The Legbar has started squatting for me, and the EE is getting a nice red face, so fingers crossed for eggs soon!

junebuggena, I've had chickens roost in the tops of tree's around here. They were NOT on the big limbs
They preferred about 1inch and down. My chickens might not have known they were not supposed to do that though.:)

I just paid 2.49 for 18 eggs on sale. They had a sign up saying due to a changing market expect the egg prices to go up. I put the eggs in our cart and told my husband. "Those hens better start laying soon or I'm going to start squeezing them out of them!" Of course I was joking. They are 13 week old Welsummers and Buff Orpingtons. The buffs are starting to redden on their faces and the roos are starting to tend them. The Wellies are now singing whenever they get happy, meaning when I'm handing out the bread. I'm hoping to see that first egg before fall sets in....and I go broke buying eggs AND chicken feed!
D.gif
th.gif
D.gif

I just paid 2.49 for 18 eggs on sale. They had a sign up saying due to a changing market expect the egg prices to go up. I put the eggs in our cart and told my husband. "Those hens better start laying soon or I'm going to start squeezing them out of them!" Of course I was joking. They are 13 week old Welsummers and Buff Orpingtons. The buffs are starting to redden on their faces and the roos are starting to tend them. The Wellies are now singing whenever they get happy, meaning when I'm handing out the bread. I'm hoping to see that first egg before fall sets in....and I go broke buying eggs AND chicken feed!
D.gif
th.gif
D.gif

Millions of commercial chickens were killed because of being infected with Avian flu. Its impacting the availability of eggs and chicken meat nation wide. Supply and demand will obviously raise prices in that scenario. I have a friend who sent me pics from her local grocery store where they are limiting the number of cartons of eggs each customer can buy.

I let my chickens free rang through the day while I'm and when they go back in the coop at dusk all 6 of them pile into 2 nesting boxes instead of using the roost is this normal?
Its not like the nights are cold here in southwestern pa.

Block off the nest boxes until they are closer to laying eggs. Their combs and waddles will get bright red and if you feel the bones around their rear ends, you'll notice the bones will be wider so an egg can pass. Thats something you'll have to feel for as they grow so you'll notice the difference. Letting them sleep in the nest boxes can cause problems when they are old enough to lay eggs. They will want a private place to lay, so they will start hiding eggs all over the place because they know the nest box as the community bedroom. If they are not big enough to fly up to the roost bars, either lower the bar if you can, or let them sleep on the coop floor together until they are big enough. They naturally fly up to roost when they are big enough. Mine started on the floor for about a week, then more and more would roost on the bar. The others slept directly under the roosting bar and got pooped on a few times until they moved up to the bar.

Also, somebody asked about what age chickens start to lay eggs. Its different for different breeds. Can be early as 20-24 weeks olds, and some do lay until 6-9 months old. Most sex link chickens lay closer to 20-24 weeks and lay every day because they were breed for egg production, while others lay 3 to 4 eggs a week and don't start until they are a little older.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I'll do that tomorrow. They used to sleep in the corner and moved to the boxes. They do use the roost just not at night. This will be their last night in the meeting boxes.
Thanks again , love all the good advice on BYC!

Back
Top Bottom