Who else is waiting for that first egg?

My gals were about 26.5 weeks old last weekend when they started laying. I'm a newbie, but I'm pretty sure you've still got a bit of a wait. Hang in there. It's SO cool when they finally start! Definitely worth the wait!
X2 My orp's combs were a bit bigger than that when they started to lay.Hang in there nothing like that first egg! Christmas and birthday at once!

Another question Has anyone noticed the hot temps and for us here in Missouri, high humidity, delaying that first egg? We've had a miserably hot, humid and wet spring and summer. All our chooks have wanted to do is lay around in the shade and take dirt baths. I even went as far as to install a small fan in their coop and plug it into a timer so they have a breeze going through the coop until it cools off at night.

If it's delaying things, I can't say that I blame them. That's way too much hard work for 90 degree weather.

I put golf balls in 3 of the nesting boxes and they took all of the shavings out of the boxes that had the golf balls in them. Does that mean they aren't close to laying eggs?

That means they are showing interest in the nest boxes. It's a good sign that they are getting close.

That's good to know.

I put plastic eggs (white) in my nesting boxes. They keep kicking the eggs out. Silly birds.

I did see one of the Welsummer roosters tend one of the Buff hens tonight. She did what she was supposed to do and so did he. What amazed me was the Alpha rooster (I took a picture of him tonight and will get it posted tomorrow) let him. Earlier I saw him chest butt one of the beta roosters for showing an interest in one of the Welsummer hens.

The hysterically funny thing about it was that I think he was so surprised that she submitted to him that when he went to dismount, he stepped on her head. Talk about a bad date......

Thanks for the info. I took the golf balls out but will put them back in tomorrow. Never would have believed this waiting could be so sressful.

Back
Top Bottom