Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Our 19-20 week old Red Sex Link laid the first egg. She started squatting the same day I posted on BYC for the first time
1f61c.png
and four maybe five days later we got our first egg.

Finally got our first egg today. Not sure which hen is responsible, I found the eggs in their pen area. So very happy & relieved. d

So I saw one of my girls lay their first egg two days ago, it was a soft shell. But before I had time to evem run and tell my wife they had busted it open and started devouring it! I havent seen another egg since, do you think they have eaten the eggs before I even get to see them? How can i prevent this!? I have never fed them egg with a shell, only scrambled or boiled.

So I saw one of my girls lay their first egg two days ago, it was a soft shell. But before I had time to evem run and tell my wife they had busted it open and started devouring it! I havent seen another egg since, do you think they have eaten the eggs before I even get to see them? How can i prevent this!? I have never fed them egg with a shell, only scrambled or boiled.

Are you giving them any oyster shell supplement or layer feed? They need the calcium in their diet to form a good shell.

One week ago today, I got my first egg from one of my 17 week (at the time) golden comets. Got one each day last week, so on Saturday, I scrambled the 6 for me and hubby for breakfast! Yeah!! On Sunday I got 3 eggs. I also have (2) 23-week old silkies, and I think one of the 3 eggs was from a silkie. First eggs are sooooo fun!!

My 2 that laid their first eggs on Saturday each laid again on Sunday. Then this morning I got a first egg from another one! It was a medium brown and covered in dark brown speckles. It was beautiful! Now just 9 more to start laying. :)

They are exploring their boxes!! Making a mess of them-squatting, very talkative!! Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the first egg any day now!!

My 2 that laid their first eggs on Saturday each laid again on Sunday. Then this morning I got a first egg from another one! It was a medium brown and covered in dark brown speckles. It was beautiful! Now just 9 more to start laying.
smile.png

What laid the speckled one? We need photographic evidence...
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom