Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Here's my haul for today, 4 duck eggs to collect in too.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in food consumption in a pullet that just started laying? Is this normal? My EE started laying about 3 weeks ago, and for at least the first week she was eating like a fiend! Every time I went out she was gobbling food nonstop. She seems to have gone back to eating more normally, now, but I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their birds.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in food consumption in a pullet that just started laying?  Is this normal?  My EE started laying about 3 weeks ago, and for at least the first week she was eating like a fiend!  Every time I went out she was gobbling food nonstop.  She seems to have gone back to eating more normally, now, but I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their birds.

My leghorn has been laying for about 7 days and I noticed she eats anything and everything. I freak at first because her crop was huge at the end of the day... but the next day it's gone and there is an egg in the box. Takes a lot of fuel to produce an egg I guess

Well my leghorn has laid 7 days in a row... wish the other girls would learn from her and lay too. Although one of my br and one EE are clucking their heads off today and have been regular squatters for over a week. Fingers crossed I come how to multiple eggs soon.

We are waiting on our 19 week old EE'ers to start laying (3 of them)! We have two to other hens that are 1.5 years old and lay nearly every day. I feel like an expectant grandmother just waiting. They go into the coop and fluff shavings around and one, Jan, even goes into the nest too, but so far...nothing. Two of them have the fluffy checks and fuller head feathers and one does not. All three we raised since 3 days old.

Yeah! I finally got my 1st egg yesterday from one of my 8 girls that turned 20 weeks on Monday.

Not sure who it's from & haven't gotten another one yet from anyone.

All 8 are a different breed. A Delaware, a Dominique, a Buff Chancelor, a Speckled Sussex, a Barred Rock, a White Cochin, a Golden Laced Wyandotte & a Cukoo Marans. I suspect it's the Delaware or Dominique, but not sure.

My friend just got her first egg today. We got our chickens at the same time from the same place so I'm hoping mine will start soon too!!

Those eggs are gorgeous! What a pleasant surprise to find so many beautiful eggs. My chicks are still holding out- they'll be 19 weeks Sunday and still no eggs, even from our Red Sex Link. Lazy freeloading chickens. But congratulations on your lovely eggs!

What beautiful eggs, some of my girls are just now laying and others I am waiting on. They are 23.5 weeks

Still waiting but it's fun to ruffle the feathers of my one submissive squatting hen!!!! I guess that will help with the wait!!!! Tonight I notice the hens taking turns going into their coop to sleep... One at a time starting with the alpha girls to the lowest man of the totem pole... It's like watching the national geographic live in my lawn chair!!!!! Think I might have gotten my mother in law hooked on chickens.

Heehee! I have a neighbor who has a severe fear of birds in general. I got her and her husband over one evening to sit outside, have a few adult beverages, and watch the chickens. She loves them now! Still scared of other birds, but the chickens have won her over!

Here's my haul for today, 4 duck eggs to collect in too.

Beautiful!!

Back
Top Bottom