Who else is waiting for that first egg?

My chickens are 18 weeks old and we are anxiously waiting for our first egg! This girl in the middle squatted for me for the first time yesterday!! What are your predictions on when we should expect an egg??

I think it varies a lot. Looks like you have several breeds too. Some folks getting eggs at 18 wks, my Bo started at 22.5. She squatted for a good week. The waiting is so hard....

I think it varies a lot. Looks like you have several breeds too. Some folks getting eggs at 18 wks, my Bo started at 22.5. She squatted for a good week. The waiting is so hard....
two of mine started at 18 weeks, one columbian rock and one rhode island red. they both squatted for about a week as well before they started

I guess our nesting boxes were not up to the chickens standards. Found 17 eggs under a pile of logs lol

Looks like they created their own nesting box! How many days worth do you think that is? Have any been sitting on them?

maybe 3-4 days worth. None sitting... had to put duck eggs in the incubator because no one wanted to sit.
Oh My GOSH!!! That is amazing to me. They REALLY wanted privacy. Look how beautiful they are! How many hens was that?

Yes extra privacy. And at least 5 of our 8 hens were nesting here.
none broken?  wow

nope none broken that I saw :)

2 quick questions. 1) do you have to do anything to the egg shells to feed them to your chickens?crush them? 2) one of my ee's laid a "long" egg today... should I be concerned?

2 quick questions. 1) do you have to do anything to the egg shells to feed them to your chickens?crush them? 2) one of my ee's laid a "long" egg today... should I be concerned?

I save their egg shells in a zip lock bag in the fridge until I get a dozen or so, which is enough for my 4 girls. Then I bake them in the oven to get them to easily crunch up, let them cool and give it to them, use your own judgment for how long in the oven. Every so often I scramble 4-6 eggs for them as well)

Back
Top Bottom