Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Read on one of the news sites that they are predicting egg prices at 6$ per dozen. C'mon girls, start squeezin them out, momma needs an omelet!
yippiechickie.gif
gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif

I have been getting more customers lately too. I do not advertise but folks know I have hens so come a knockin. Glad I kept 32 instead of downsizing more.

My Silver lace
WY and Buff Orp are both 19 weeks old. Got my first egg yesterday but no clue from which one... Any clues? Got #2 today, an eggzact carbon copy. So glad this venture is finally paying off!

ya.gif
Well one of my 5 BO decided to finally lay for us this am. It was a tiny egg, almost perfect. It looked as if it was pecked at. Has a small hole at one end. Nonetheless we are super excited. We found it in the coop floor. I've placed fake eggs in their nesting boxes and I've tried to put the girls in their boxes, but they seems not to like them. Any ideas on how to make them lay in the appropriate place.

FINALLY!!!

I just peeked in the nesting boxes and much to my delight found a little perfectly formed Buff Orpington egg left by one of three girls. I brought it in to show DH and he said "Wow! It's a 'baby' egg!"

Our girls are 21 weeks old. I no longer feel like a slave to the egg cooler in the local grocery! Three Cheers for the Ladies!

Picture to follow.
Congratulations!!!!

ya.gif
Well one of my 5 BO decided to finally lay for us this am. It was a tiny egg, almost perfect. It looked as if it was pecked at. Has a small hole at one end. Nonetheless we are super excited. We found it in the coop floor. I've placed fake eggs in their nesting boxes and I've tried to put the girls in their boxes, but they seems not to like them. Any ideas on how to make them lay in the appropriate place.
So exciting! Good you found that egg before eggs became a tasty new food source. I don't know what your setup looks like or if there is a history of not laying in the boxes. If you post more details...Boxes low, dark, most private and inviting spot available. Is your coop floor inviting? Some say hay or straw is better than shavings. I don't think it matters as long as the box looks the best to them. I used orchard hay, all the girls like the boxes. I never put the hens in the boxes.
Edit to say: if this is a first egg, I wouldn't worry too much.

Last edited:

ya.gif
i made our nest box out of a tupperware bucket. i got the instructions off youtube from becky's homestead and my hens love it. i use wood shavings. there was only one "accidental" egg dropped in the run when Charlotte came out to eat and drink after having been in it for most of the day. it was her first egg. other than that they have all been in the box. i never put fake eggs in it or anything. i just put it in their hen house and let them figure it out.

I've been getting eggs for 3 weeks now, and its still super exciting to see what they leave me, but this morning I got the biggest one yet! 76.5 grams!!

Back
Top Bottom