Who else owns a Tennessee Walker!?

i gave my walking horse to a friend because i wasn't riding anymore, he's 16.3 hands and is a wonderful horse

21099_s7300760.jpg

Sure, you could put a bosal and a mecate on a grand prix dressage horse and still get results but it 'aint traditional. I grew up in the '50's and 60's and you NEVER saw a TWH in a snaffle beyond the age of three. It just was not done. Nowdays anything goes. A gaited horse will always gait better in a curb. If you do not have the hands or the feel for it, then by all means go with a snaffle.

"TWHs have a loose headset anyway compared to an upper level dressage horse or 3 gaited saddleseat horse"

Ah...depends....the big lick show horses are pretty hard and tight up into the bridle and that big curb bit is getting used on pretty hard. And a dressage horse shouldn't have/doesn't have a 'head set'.

I own a TWH gelding, well he is my daughter's horse. He was meant for me since I have a bad back, but they just click
smile.png
So I bought a haflinger mare for me
smile.png
I don't have any good pics because he follows me everywhere lol.

Quote:
True, you set the entire body not the head. If the horse is not in the right frame, the "head set" will simply make the horse look pretty. The bit is only a means of communication, though I would rather have a cell phone than a couple of tin cans tied on a string. Either will get the job done.

Last edited:
No you couldn't really put a GP dressage horse in a bosal.

There is no 'setting' of anything, body or head, in dressage. There is no 'head set' in dressage, there is no 'frame' at all, there is no 'training level frame', 'first level frame'...none. It's the most misunderstood thing in dressage, and the one thing that keeps so many people from doing well or progressing in dressage.

There is nothing about gaiting in and of itself, physically, technically, that requires a curb bit or for the horse to have a specific head and neck position. Except that horse people are bull headed as all get out and whatever way they been doing something is the right way and the only way, LOL!

There are STYLES of gaiting that people want to ADHERE to, out of preference, but that has nothing to do with what has to be there, technically, physically, physics-of-motion-wise, to gait.

I've been told all of it. A horse has to have his nose poked out to gait, he has to have his neck up to gait. A horse has to be in a curb bit to gait. A horse has to be in a WESTERN saddle to gait, a horse has to be in an ENGLISH saddle.

All it is, is a horse show class, a show style a person wants to stick to, and that has nothing to do with physics or necessity.

Hundreds of years ago, MOST people rode gaited horses. AND THEY RODE THEM IN SNAFFLES. That was the 'every man' type of riding. That's what people did.

Horses can and do gait very well on a snaffle. I know because I've seen me do it. I even had an Icelandic breeder yell out 'no, no noooo!!!!' and then very quietly say, 'I suppose you'll be very happy to know that he looks just like a &%)(*#)$#*# dressage horse, now!'

The fact is, a gaited horse can gait however he's TRAINED to gait. And he also can be RETRAINED. There are a whole lot of different ways to skin a cat.

The American Saddlebred isn't even called a 'natural gaited horse' and he is trained to gait in an entirely different posture than a Tennessee Walker. In fact, every gaited show style is a little different. Then there's this - snaffle gaited horses - FIVE gaited, in fact, the best of them:

Fact is, there are books published in the late 1200's in Europe about HOW to make a horse 'thorough paced' (5 gaited) in a snaffle bridle OR a curb. It's not even new shtuff.

Last edited:
My DH's Ky mtn mare Pride, is half TN walker, her sire is a Mtn Pleasure horse.
KY's have one registered parent, and one grade or non Rocky/KY.
Her mom's name was Pochantus (sp?) we know nothing about her.

Pride is a SWEET mare, we can put the rankest newb on her, small children.. She is GOLDEN!!
DH is a novice rider.. too!!
DSCF3055.jpg

DSCF3053.jpg

And yes she has a double mane.. on each side!!
LOVE this horse
DSCF1192.jpg

Back
Top Bottom