Who else plays an instrument?

He is almost 26 now. He and his twin brother began playing music when they were 9 or 10. He started on recorder, then oboe, then alto sax, then early in high school (freshman?) he took up bari. He is mainly an alto player and composer but he plays flute, and all the reeds except bassoon. He and his brother Pascal have several CDs out. They have a website www.leboeufbrothers.com and remy's website is http://remyleboeuf.com. I do love the bari though he only plays it in big bands now.

I've been playing piano for about 11 years, on-and-off from about the age of 5 and continuously since abotu 12 and a half - about to sit a 7th Grade exam (AMEB).

I've been learning the violin for just under a year, finished the 2nd Suzuki book and have learnt a few 2nd Grade pieces - at the moment I'm learning a lot of Bush Dance and Ceilidh pieces which are chellenging because they go so fast! I'm also in the local string orchestra, 1st desk for Violin II.

I've also been teaching myself flute for about six months - I have no idea how good I am with it. I want to get lessons. I've been able to play the recorder since I was about four and the fingering's not so different for flute, but it took me a while to figure out how to get a decent sound out of it. My preferred recorder is the tenor.

I can sing reasonably well - You have to do aurals for piano exams which involve singing, quite a bit in the higher grades - but I don't like doing it in front of people.

Oh, and I'm doing 5th Grade music theory, but that's not an instrument.

My mother plays the piano (got to 6th Grade) and the recorder, and has self-taught herself guitar. Her father plays the mouth organ quite well but can't read music, and her mother and younger sister played the flute. Her older sister plays the piano. Her brother studied at the Adelaide Conservatorium of Music on organ and clarinet (I think) and can play piano, organ, and clarinet. Her maternal grandmother was a piano teacher.

My father's tone-deaf. I think my sister's 'tonally-challenged', if that's possible.

from Rachel.

edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I played trombone for 6 years in school but was never very good at it. I recently took up the fiddle and while I'm not very good at it either, it is a lot of fun to saw on.

Mrs. HandsomeRyan is a very talented trumpet player. She played throughout high school and college and currently plays in the pit orchestra for a local community theater. She also took up the fiddle at the same time as me and she is better at it than I am too.

Next spring I hope to take an intro to banjo class because two fiddles is nice but having a fiddler and a banjo player would be better.

I used to play the viola but compound-fractured my wrist last year and it doesn't look like it's going to come back.
sad.png
So I have two nice newmade 16.5" violas for sale if anyone's interested! Sigh...

Started the violin at 4 years old and played through high school. Did a quarter of orchestra in college too, but couldn't stay with it as classes were getting in the way of practice.

In high school, I taught myself the flute and went on to learn the clarinet, sax (alto/tenor), trumpet, piccolo, all the other derivatives.

When DH and I moved in together, he came with a piano. A dabbled with that for awhile, but didn't stick with it because life got in the way.

We're going to start DD1 with the piano next year (she'll be 4). DD2 will get the violin when she's ready (she's 1).

When I was about ten, my grandmother told me her grandfather played violin and when he emigrated from Germany, he brought with him two violins, a 4/4 and a 3/4. They're in my closet now. Probably the coolest things I own, but they are in such rough condition, that they'd need major work to be playable. Someday I'll do that....

And you don't want to hear me sing! My ears are tuned a half-note flat. Sounds fine to me, but the people around me disagree!!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom