1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who else puts off errands to watch chickens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gryeyes, Nov 2, 2010.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I need to go into town to pick up my mail. I'm on vacation, and have been enjoying watching my chickens doing their chickeny things. Right now a group of them are in the front yard, and several are dust-bathing behind my car, where I'd have to back up to leave the property.

I don't want to disturb them. I opened up my living room curtains so I can see them unobstructed by the sheer curtains. Every now and then, Lacey gets up on the bird bath fountain in front of the window and looks in at me. She's managed to get out of her chicken shawl somehow and I haven't found it anywhere. (She's worn it for about 3 months 24/7.)

Some of the youngsters have become brave enough to wander out into the front yard in a little gang o' chickens, and are investigating the far side of the yard by the fence line. They're sort of orbiting the mature hens, not getting too close, but checking out where they've been, to see what may be left for them to gobble up. Ooooh - fresh grass poking up!

I suppose I can go get the mail when the sunlight has moved further across the yard.... and the chickens have moved with it.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

The mail will be there tomorrow [​IMG]

3. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    I do it all the time [​IMG]

4. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I agree, sit back and enjoy !!

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I have a cute picture of my kids. They pulled up two chairs and were watching the chooks in their little pen yard.

We call it chicken TV. Better than prozac.

6. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Shoot . . .

Id rather rake up rabbit poop than do something I "have" to do . . .
    like go to work . . .

Chicken watching, rabbit watching, making cages, scrapin poop, cleaning the yard, all stuff Id rather do than anything else.

Shoot, I chose a saltwater reef tank over a girl I dated for 6 years, probably the best decision I ever made in my life.
    I dont even have the tank going anymore . . .

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  7. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Many a time have I had to come up with better excuses for my teacher of why I didn't do my homework. But I'm good at winging it. I can write an A+ worthy 3-page-long essay in about and hour!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by