Who fixes this?

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
Ok so across the street I have a neighbor and a tree farm. Looks like they (as in the city I guess) cut a make shift ditch down the side of the road in front of the tree farm. Well it all pools in the neighbors side yard. To fix this they put a pipe under the road.
So guess where the pipe leads the water...
Yup down my yard.

It floods my coop, under my house, and where I wanted to put my garden.
I did not know about the flooding till about a year after I bought the house. The lady that use to live infront of me told me about it when first moved in but I kinda wrote it..

DSCN3780.jpg

DSCN3781.jpg

DSCN3782-1.jpg

DSCN3783.jpg

DSCN3784.jpg

I wouldnt have put my coop there if I would have known about this. Now its become a huge problem and Ive lost some of my younger birds to drowning.

Whos to fix this?
Im afraid if I build up the front of my yard and it backs up into the neighbors house its going to be my fault.
But this needs to be fixed..
idunno.gif

Start with the town, they are the "cheapest" and easiest to deal with. If they dug the ditch in your neighbors yard then they have some responsibility to maintain it.
If The town put the pipe through to your yard, they have to fix that too, but if your neighbor put the pipe in the ditch that the town dug, the town will possibly fix it, but at least THEY will have a chat with your neighbor about it. This is the way it has worked for us at least, but we are in a small town... We also called when it was raining so that they could really see what was happening. I know I keep saying "They", I'm sorry I just can't remember the specific department we called. I think if you call town hall they can tell you who you need to speak with. Good Luck!!

Cluckin'Along :

Start with the town, they are the "cheapest" and easiest to deal with. If they dug the ditch in your neighbors yard then they have some responsibility to maintain it.
If The town put the pipe through to your yard, they have to fix that too, but if your neighbor put the pipe in the ditch that the town dug, the town will possibly fix it, but at least THEY will have a chat with your neighbor about it. This is the way it has worked for us at least, but we are in a small town... We also called when it was raining so that they could really see what was happening. I know I keep saying "They", I'm sorry I just can't remember the specific department we called. I think if you call town hall they can tell you who you need to speak with. Good Luck!!

I would think if it goes under the road that it would be the city or county that put it there, right?
It shouldnt cost me a dime I thought..​

yup--call your local county Deptment of Transportation. It should be their problem and they will help.
they will evaluate and help you. and if they can't help, they will tell you how to proceed and who you might have to sue and how to be legal correcting the problem.

when my gravel road was finally paved the dug water ditches and put in drains etc.

they can help you.

you are living with a flooding nightmare obviously! Sorry for your terrible luck on this!!!

Last edited:
no

any flooding due to road ditches, pipes along or under roads, etc. is all handled by them. any flooding due to any changes along a road side is their situation.

Back
Top Bottom