who got that egg?

saxet

Songster
Jun 2, 2010
TX
Oh darn. My ducks lay in the brush. Finally. (they used to spead it all over the property, or so it seemed)
I saw a pekin laying at her usual spot, a nest in front of a dog kennel. Good thinking! Safe from most predators.
Since I was in a hurry this morning, I was going to pick up the fresh egg this afternoon. Gone. Grhhh.
I doubt I had coons (broad daylight and an assertive dog nearby) I know I did not have stray dogs. Cats don't mess with it. So I will assume that a snake came by. Now here is the stupid question. Shall I put out a new (chicken) egg for the duck when she returns tomorrow? If not, I bet she will be finding a new spot to lay again, and it always takes me a while to catch up with her new hiding spot. What would you do?
(I have no housing for them. They live 'wild' on a large pond)

I put easter eggs out in suitable spots when i want my hens to continue laying in one spot. I have dog houses for mine, so i dont have the same problem, but when i let my ducks out at 6am when i go for my jog they all go and lay in this one nest in a clump of bushes. I colect the eggs and leave the wooden / easter eggs. I have problems with snakes and currently rats or some small rodent. Good luck! Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom