Who has a game system?

kellieg1

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
Marthasville
I was thinking of getting a WII game system just for me. I don't know anything about all of this stuff. The kids have it. Or I say my grown kid and famly. That is what they have, and I was thinking of getting the same thing, that way when the grand kids come they can bring their games and play.

Are they worth the money?

Last edited:
I'm 53 and my 73 year old friend and neighbor has a Wii. We use it to bowl. We both sweat.
wink.png
Great exercise.

We have a Wii and like it a lot. It's just my hub and I, we have no kids. Have to admit we go thru phases playing it; I really enjoy some of the Wii Resort games (all games on one disc -- lots of variety). Also like the Wii fit. My hub likes the old time games like Super Mario. Each year we get a new game. I think you can buy them used at Best Buy and some libraries have games to rent.

The other thing about the Wii is if you have a Netflix account and wifi you can stream their movies thru it, we dont' use that feature because our DVD player does that for us but we'd use the Wii if we didn't have that dvd (I'm a netflix fan)

We have the PlayStation 3, actually two of them because DH and I like to play games together. We are in our forties.

We have the Move on one of the game systems - and we bought Sports Champions. I enjoy the Bocce Ball, the Archery and the sword play (I can't remember what it is called at this moment). The game also has table tennis, volleyball and a couple others that I can't think of. There are a number of first person shooters that can be played with the Move add-on also.

The nice thing about the PS3 it that it will play the BlueRay movies, will stream NetFlix (and other movie/tv show sharing sites) and you can use it Skype over the internet if you have the Move camera. My husband has dowloaded his music library to the PS3 and uses it in the home gym room to fuel his workout.

I can see where the Wii would be alot of fun, since that system is based on motion. Our neighbors have it, and she loves to use it for her aerobic exercise workout. I don't know if the Wii system can do anything but games - our friends have PS3's so that is all that we looked at.

we have : an original nintendo game system, a super nintendo, nintendo 64, a nintendo game cube, a Wii, a sega genisis, sega saturn, playstation 2, and an Xbox 360 with kinect. LOL. Needless to say, we like games around this house lol

What system you should get pretty much depends entirely on what you want out of it. You should check out the games available for the current systems before you settle on which to buy. Some individual games are produced for all of the different consoles, while some individual games are made only for one console or another.

The Wii system games are, for the most part, *very* different from the games on PS3 and Xbox360. They are most often geared towards children, which is great if that's really all you want it for. Though a few popular older audience titles are available on Wii, you can find more older child and adult oriented titles on the 360 and the PS3.

If it's the motion controlling part of the Wii that attracts you, the Xbox 360 now has the kinect, which is supposed to be an even better version of the "body as a controller" than Wii is, as it doesn't require a hand held controller at all, it watches your motions with a camera, and applies it directly to the games. Also, a good portion of these Kinect games are family/child friendly, so if you were to go the Xbox360 w/Kinect route, you'd have both regular handheld controller console play, "body as" controller play (without having to hang onto a device like you do with a Wii), and a vast assortment of titles to please literally ANY gaming tastes.

PS3 has no motion technology at all, but does have the bluray bonus. It also has pretty close to as much variety in games as the Xbox360 does, and allows you do stream movies and tv from multiple sources.

Both the 360 and the PS3 have online comunities accesible through the console where you can download additional content for games you already own, download playable demos of games, download full games, and interact with other players around the world while playing a vast assortment of multiplayer games, both in game, and verbally through a headset.

I'm *pretty* sure Wii does not have these features.

As far as getting games...the very best way to get games (and movies, and books, and pretty much anything else ever) is www.amazon.com. Their buy used option can get you some really great deals. Otherwise, GameStop has shops in almost every mall and shopping center in America, and they sell games new and used, as well as trade games. Theay are not the *best* prices around...amazon usually has the real deals.

Best Buy is almost *always* overpriced (even their sale stuff) , as is Wal Mart, though their sale prices are sometimes pretty good, rarely do any even semi decent games drop to a reasonable price.

Thank you all for the input on the game systems. Its really hard to decide on.
barnie.gif
That's what I feel like! :) I want to get the wii because my son has it, and when I have my grand babies they can bring their own games to play. I also what to get the exercise thingy that they have. (don't remember the name of it)

How old are the grandkids? They may think it is neat if they can play a different system at your house, instead of just playing the same games that they have at home. If you buy used games, they are not that expensive. We just bought some games that were about $10 each used.

I don't know about the other systems, but on the PS3, the game play is saved on the console, not the game itself. So, if they were playing a game with alot of levels and such, they would not be able to continue at the same point at your house, they would have to start all over at the beginning of the game.

I have to disagree with GatorPit, the PS3 system has the Move add-on. We have it and it is alot of fun. We were playing Bocce Ball just last night. It works off two controllers that you hold onto, but we have first shooter games where the controllers fit into a plastic gun and you have a "operational" gun that you aim and shoot.

Back
Top Bottom