Who has a metal roof on their run???

potterpoulets

Chirping
Oct 27, 2016
Harvard, MA
My Coop
My Coop
I'm putting a metal roof on my run, and have a few questions:

1) did you sheath your roof with OSB or just attach the metal to the rafters?

2) I think code here is 18" O.C., but I may go with 24" O.C. if I sheath, cause it's not a real roof, but I do need it to support snow.

3) aesthetics about pitch: it really needs to line up with something for me, but I feel like the top of the door is too shallow and might leave me scraping down snow all winter long. On the other hand, if I put it all the way up to the top of the corner board that looks too steep, and the chickens really have no use for that much height anyway.

If you have a metal roof, feel free to advise on anything else I might not be considering.

(I'm planning to use metal sales, because it has a smaller profile and a better finish. It must not meet code in MA, cause I have to pick it up in RI.)

I'm putting a metal roof on my run, and have a few questions:

1) did you sheath your roof with OSB or just attach the metal to the rafters? No sheathing used special metal roofing screws with neoprine washers. 16'' on center making sure the "valleys" made contact with rafters and screwed 12'' apart.

2) I think code here is 18" O.C., but I may go with 24" O.C. if I sheath, cause it's not a real roof, but I do need it to support snow.

3) aesthetics about pitch: it really needs to line up with something for me, but I feel like the top of the door is too shallow and might leave me scraping down snow all winter long. On the other hand, if I put it all the way up to the top of the corner board that looks too steep, and the chickens really have no use for that much height anyway. My run is about 10 feet wide one side is 8 feet tall and the other is 6 feet tall so there is a 2-foot decline in pitch, again this has not been tested with snow yet, but I imagine I will most likely still be sweeping off heavy snow loads that don't melt in a short amount of time. I would say your first image does not appear to have enough pitch IMO, and your second is more than enough and more preferable.

If you have a metal roof, feel free to advise on anything else I might not be considering.

(I'm planning to use metal sales, because it has a smaller profile and a better finish. It must not meet code in MA, cause I have to pick it up in RI.)
Good Luck! If you have any other questions ill try my best to answer.

-Dom

Last edited:
Our 9x26 run is covered with corrugated metal. You don't need sheathing but metal roofs really need support purlins perpendicular to the direction the rafters and the sheets are running. You definitely want to account for snow load if you live where it snows. It's asking for trouble to skimp. You don't necessarily need much pitch. 1' of fall for every 10' of run is about the minimum. That is what ours is.

This is the roof structure of our run.

The metal sheets are screwed to the purlins.

Last edited:
nice job. I've been thinking of covering my run also. but I have nothing to nail my purlins to. Maybe lay them sideways would help.

Good Luck! If you have any other questions ill try my best to answer.

-Dom
Thanks, Dom. My first illustration is like a foot rise for a 6' run, so not too much smaller than yours. But still, I agree, it does seem really shallow in pitch. I'd wager the second illustration is about 3' rise. Building aside, I think I like the way 2' rise looks, but I just can't come to something I feel satisfied with. I bought the wood already, but maybe I'll shovel it this winter and build next spring.

Our 9x26 run is covered with corrugated metal. You don't need sheathing but metal roofs really need support purlins perpendicular to the direction the rafters and the sheets are running. You definitely want to account for snow load if you live where it snows. It's asking for trouble to skimp. You don't necessarily need much pitch. 1' of fall for every 10' of run is about the minimum. That is what ours is.

This is the roof structure of our run.

The metal sheets are screwed to the purlins.

Thanks, Terry! Your run looks great (as does your garden)! My lower option is about a foot rise to 6' run. So, maybe it would work. The metal I intend to use has installation instructions of using 5/8" OSB. Clearly it's intended for real roof application on a real building, and I don't want to under estimate the snow load, but I also wonder if it has to do with the rigidity of the metal sheets (which are way less corrugated, and more flat). I may hold off until spring; I just can't make up my mind. Thanks for your help!

Thanks, Terry!  Your run looks great (as does your garden)! My lower option is about a foot rise to 6' run.  So, maybe it would work.  The metal I intend to use has installation instructions of using 5/8" OSB.  Clearly it's intended for real roof application on a real building, and I don't want to under estimate the snow load, but I also wonder if it has to do with the rigidity of the metal sheets (which are way less corrugated, and more flat).  I may hold off until spring; I just can't make up my mind.  Thanks for your help!

Thanks!! 1' of fall in 6' of run would be fine. Rigidity of the panels will be important. Do you have a link to them? I'm sure you could make them work but you might have to space the purlins closer.

Thanks!! 1' of fall in 6' of run would be fine. Rigidity of the panels will be important. Do you have a link to them? I'm sure you could make them work but you might have to space the purlins closer.
http://www.metalsales.us.com/reside...classic-rib-aluminum-residential#.WB57IYXwg-c

The product specifies that I should have an 18" rise. I do think 2' looks more reasonable than 1', but It just doesn't line up with anything on the building. I'm just gonna keep mulling it over.

Back
Top Bottom