Who has Astralorps?

think you all i know iam going get some now going to buy 12 of them and 13 New Hampshire Red
i got to have them
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Of course I will post pics of my precious babies!!! There are two shots each of my five babies. The last one is Peanut, the one with the cyst (?) on it's thigh. I went to go drain it today and it was way, down from what it was yesterday, so I am very happy.

My guess is : Boy, boy, girl, ?, girl

This one is all black and white, no yellow
DSCN1969.jpg

DSCN1977.jpg

DSCN1980.jpg

DSCN1981.jpg

DSCN1984.jpg

DSCN1985.jpg

DSCN1988.jpg

DSCN1992.jpg

DSCN1994.jpg

DSCN1999.jpg

Heck, I can't tell. They all look like boys to me. It's much easier when you have them in front of you. I mark ours as I take them out of the hatcher and then in a few weeks we know how right/wrong I am. My husband still doesn't know how I can tell when they are minutes old LOL. I tell him you have to hold your mouth just right!! Glad peanut is better though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got 5 australorps, they lay well. I had an australorp rooster until he attacked me, he started getting pretty aggressive until I invited him for lunch.

How can you tell sex, combs & wattles? My daughter who has never had chickens ever, says I have 4 roos.

This chicken thing is "empty nest" syndrome at it's fullest. We may have to invite a roo or two for lunch.
wink.png

How do you upload pictures? I have a lousy camera but if I get close enough they may turn out.

Roosters: There used to be a very good article on this site about taming roosters. I used to think I should be nice to them. Wrong. Right off the bat they must know that uncivilized behavior is not tolerated. Run at them, make them lower their heads (under your hand), etc. Look for that or another article. I have the best rooster in the world now. He adopted us. However, we did not allow him into our flock until he "bowed" to me. Now we are partners. It helps that he is very, very smart. My astralorps are beautiful hens and very good layers. They are a bit maniacal about being broody, though.

Back
Top Bottom