Who has experience with ADHD?

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
My son was put on meds last week (he's 4 years old). I didn't start him on them till today, cause he goes to preschool 4 days a week, and I wanted to wait till Christmas break, so I could see for myself how he would react to them.

The past few hours he has told me that he has a 'bad feeling' about things. I try to get him to elaborate on this, but he just says he feels bad.

Any ideas? Should I stop giving him the meds? This is the 2nd time he has taken them. The first was Friday before last, and I didn't like how he acted then, so I decided to wait till his break.

I have ADHD (diagnosed twice in the last 16 years) and am not on meds for it. My mom tried medicating me when I was 8 and I became an entirely different person and lethargic. She said 'forget it' and I havent had anything since. I have some issues still but have learned to manage it. My mom let me figure alot out on my own and has never made a big deal of it. She just told me that everyone has there own issues to deal with and I would have to figure out how to deal with it. She also had found out about a teacher with it (ADHD) and asked if she wouldn't mind giving me some pointers. Which has come in handy throughout my life.

In saying that I do feel that Drs get a little ADD/ADHD happy so I would seek a second opinion if you haven't already. Anyway I am not a Doctor but thought I might be able to help.

I personally think the whole ADHD thing is blown out of proportion. (in my opinion) - As far as the need for drugs and special treatment goes, If you keep telling a child they have problems they'll start to believe/act like it
Anyway I live a perfectly normal life great boyfriend, good job, good friends blah blah blah.
Hope I helped some.
wink.png

Last edited:
I have ADD. Sometimes kids grow out of it, but I didn't, and so continue to have it to this day. When I was younger, they tried ritalin on me. I was allergic. Perhaps he is having an allergic reaction? They switched me to another medication called Dexadrine. At some point my pediatrician, who strongly disliked using medications like this, decided to take me off of it to see how I'd do. I floundered and did not do well for many years. When I finally was able to turn myself around in school it took huge amounts of concentration and dedication. Then one day, as an adult, I forgot to do some basic stuff for my kiddos before I sent them off to school... as in, my 1st grader kept telling me she needed some undies. I knew I had to get them, and then it totally slipped my mind. She was wearing a dress. Needless to say, I got a call from her teacher and I had to rush over there with some underwear for the poor kid! I felt so bad. It was at that point I went to talk with my doctor about starting me back up on the medication. I am now using Dexadrine XR (extended release). I opted for the extended release capsules because I rarely remember to take multiple doses of a medication more than once a day. Taking antibiotics when I need them can be challenging. 3 times a day for 10 days? Yeah... I'm lucky if I get to day 5.

Some things to keep in mind since he is so young. I don't know if they have disproved this at all, but my mom has always said that the medication stunted my growth. I am the shortest person in my family, and was growing at a good pace until I started the ADD medication.

I just read an article about those ADHA meds being classifed as Schedule II drugs (up there with cocaine, morphine, opium, and amphetamines.) They can be just as addicitive. They can cause severe depression & even possible suicide and and actually bring or cause permanent physical abnormalities to an otherwise normal brain.

There is absolutely no evidence there is such a thing as ADHD. Most kids are just being kids & are possibly bored (especially in school.)

These drugs are huge money for pharmaceuticals & Drs and that is the main reason they are being touted to our precious young people.

These drugs are also just a US & Canadian medical fad which can become a "gateway drug" for other illegal drugs.

I have a son that was very active & he was kept very busy. Boredom was not a good option. He is now 19 & is completely normal & healthy in mind and body. And has many lofty goals for his life. I never would have given him drugs for just being a little boy. He was exactly as he should have been.

If I were you, I would do some heavy duty independent research BEFORE giving drugs to your little one regardless of what any Dr. told me. There is alot of information out there. And I would listen to your child~~he is telling you something important.

JMHO

My brother has asperbergers, I have bipolar, and my baby brother has Autisim, so were all broken. My brother was originally treated with ADHD and so has been medicated for dang near all his life. What meds is he on? Some upset the stomach, make u very drowsey, lethargic, all kinds of stuff. Though u should always talk to ur doctor, but the meds are not quite in his system yet. so it may take up to one to two weeks for them to get in his system so he may not feel well for a couple of weeks. make sure he eats before he takes them. drinks plenty of water and stays out of direct sunlight.

I will tell you my experiance from a Aunt's point of view.

My nephew has ADHD and ADD. My brother and his wife did the "natural" thing for awhile and decided that they would try the med's that the doctor suggested. Well..... it made my nephew very lethargic, he would just sit there and stare off in space. He started having heart problem's and was sent to Birmingham Al, to the university for some testing which showed that the med was causeing the heart problems. Needless to say, they took him off of the medicine and he has not been on anything for atleast 17 years. It is not easy to deal with, but it can be done without medicine. He is now graduated from highschool and he is a Full time Certified Firefighter for the city we live in. I do not approve of the medicine and I would choose "natural" alternitives before I would use it, (JMHO, not trying to step on any toes). Goodluck with your son, I hope you can find what works for him
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I have ADD and didn't know it until a few months ago. I just thought I was weird
big_smile.png
Turns out it is ADD-Inattentive Subtype. While I am not a doctor (nor do I play one on the internet), I am going to pass along info that applies directly to my ADD and are also things I learned while researching my youngest son's autism...

One of the things that contributed to the hyperactivity is a diet deficient in Essential Fatty Acids. A lack of them has a direct effect on the brain and brain development. Fish oil supplements can help with getting enough omega 3's.

Another thing that seriously effects the brain and hormones is a lack of vitamin D. Supplementing with a liquid D3 (Carlson's brand is good) is often necessary for kids who don't get time outside. A lack of vitamin D in the mother during pregnancy is now suspected to be a cause of autism.

Diet plays a big part. Avoiding ALL refined sugars and strictly limiting grains and starches CAN help. I know food dye got the blame for a while, but foods with lots of dye in it are usually the ones loaded with sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Stick to plenty of fresh veggies, WHOLE dairy (no fat-free stuff), meat and eggs. NO fruit juice, Kool aid or other drinks made with sugar, lots of fructose or high fructose corn syrup. The best FRESH fruits are berries, cantaloup, and kiwi. They are lower in sugar content than tropical fruits.

As for whether a kid needs meds for ADHD, that will depend on the individual. If it were my 4 year old, I would be very cautious and very conservative. I would also change my diet, start D and fish oil ASAP.

Quote:
I do have to say, as an adult with ADD, that the condition does indeed exist. It may be often misdiagnosed, but it exists. People that don't have it don't understand it. My mother never could understand why when she would ask me to do chores I would seem absolutely positive that I would do them once I was finished what whatever it was I was doing. Less than a few minutes after she would ask me to do whatever the chore was, I would just absolutely forget she even asked. The only thing that would trigger my memory was her huffing about doing the chore she had asked me to do. I would feel badly about forgetting and get up to help. Perhaps it is easier to say it's a made-up condition to pump cash into the wallets of the pharmaceutical companies than it is to address the actual condition. To deny the condition though is to insult those of us who suffer from it.

P.S. I have never taken any illegal drugs, nor have I ever abused any legal drugs. I was strongly against drugs as a kid, and even turned in drug users to police at my high school despite knowing I was putting myself in great bodily harm by doing so. I have never smoked, nor do I care to. I see no use in these substances. When I drink, it is in moderation. I like being in control of my mind, body and actions at all times.

Quote:
Because I just finished writing my thesis on this for my Master's Degree, I will just correct some things. There is a diagnosis for ADD/ADHD. It is clearly defined in the DSM-IV TR which is the manual psychiatrists and psychologists use to disagnosis any mental disorder.

Although there is the thought that children who use Stimulant medications such as Ritalin could become addicted later in life to more serious drugs in that same class (such as amphetamines and cocaine) there is actual recent studies proving that to be grossly
inaccurate. Stims have been used for over 50 years...

There are other options, of course, and I would never suggest medication alone, it needs to be used in conjunction with cognitive and behavior therapy in order for the best results. In all honestly, this medication does NOT work for everyone, but that is also true of every medication. Even some people taking asprin therapy, for example, have heart attacks.

And I am not a doctor- yet. But this is my area of knowledge.

Side effects of Ritalin and stimulant meds like Adderal are what you described. Feeling funny, like floating (I describe it as gumby syndrome), maybe having a tummy ache- low appetite. Eyes might hurt. Tired and sleepiness. Did the doctor give you a gradual adjustment over time? Like start at a low dose and gradually increase? Did you get the sample kit?

Christina

Back
Top Bottom