Who has experience with ADHD?

My best friend has a son who is ADHD, and he is 28 years old now, still suffers from it. He was never medicated, just had a VERY patient, and loving set of parents. Most people who have this are very talented in one of the arts and can make a life for themselves that are very rich and rewarding. Her son, Jeff, writes and plays worship music. Sells the music, others record it, he can sing at church. He is married and just welcomed their first child in September.

It is very hard and difficult to undertstand their mind, but from what I see of Jeff, well worth it.

My son was diagnosed last month with ADD-innattentive type. He has been failing school regularly, is terribly disorganized, and cannot stay on task or focus on his works. Homework never comes home. In any case, the Dr. put him on Concerta-XR. He has been on it for a little over a month. We have noticed small differences, as have his teachers, but he still isnt where he needs to be with trying to pay attention. So his dose was upped from 27 mg to the 35, I believe. The only side effect he has had is nausea, usually in the late afternoon. If anyone has had experience with Concerta, I would like to hear about it, please. Thanks!

My daughter would freak at the blender and vacuum and mower....like HYSTERICS...running away and crying. She has a speech delay and other things which led me to bring her to Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago for an official evalutation.

She is not autistic like some of my "school" working family members had suggested.

She used to have night terrors more when she was younger but they assured me it's just hormones and it would pass. She gets them once in a blue moon any more and I can tell when she's having a growth spurt and when her hormones do this. They assured me it's more upsetting to the parents than the children as they have no recollection of the terror. And I can say that is 100% true.

I have worked with her with the sensory problems...I tell her when I am going to run the blender...so she can go hide out in her room. When her little sister started having fun with the vacuum cleaner hose...big sister was able to calm down about it and let me suck up a portion of her shirt with it. Now big sister is 7 yrs. old and she has been able to run the vacuum for me. Little baby steps....and you will get there.

She does have some anxiety issues but her dad's in the war and if you ask me...this is to be expected. She also was a premie and I think most of anything stems from that fact.

I have chosen a smaller Christian based school for her and the setting is ideal. It's a small child to teacher ratio and the children of all grade levels adore my daughter and she just had a speaking part in the Christmas play and despite her having a small high pitched sqweaky voice and with her speech troubles...she was not scared at all and felt comfortable to say her part and she said it loud and clear. I was very happy. She did wonderful.

She sometimes has trouble focusing as well but sometimes as the teacher said....it's almost like she knows it and wants to move on. And I am aware through her speech path. that other times it is that she doesn't know it. I have had her in early intervention speech class since she was 2 1/2. Like I said....little by little.... It has been years and sometimes it's like....will she ever get it? Will she ever talk to where others can understand her? And over the summer during one of her evaluations from the speech teacher...it showed she grew like a years worth within several months.

Each child is different and give them time but you will find....one day, they will grow. And there wasn't anything to do but to have patience.

-------------------------------
I worked as a teachers aid once upon a time....one child was given 2 desks. He was asked not to sharpen his pencil all the time...because that was his way of getting up out of his seat and releasing his energy. Instead he was told, if he felt he needed to get up....to go to his other seat. That kept him in line from disrupting the class so much.

My youngest daughter at nearly 3 yrs. of age doesn't really need a nap like her older sister did at this age. She is also pent full of energy. So this has been interesting having 2 children that have been night and day from each other.

Perhaps if he was given a coloring book or those shoe lace threading games....to do at nap time? Something quiet and something to keep him busy.

I'm sure something can be worked out.

My nephew, now graduated from high school....once told he was adhd and then at the age of 16 they decided it was Aspergers (high functioning autism) but is now attending community college and is on? 2-3? boys/mens choirs. He graduated high school with many awards...many of them with music. He played the lead in most school plays. It is not a horrible thing to be diagnosed with something....one must find their niche, is all.

When he was younger they had tried him on so many diff. medications...I don't know the names....one time he suffered a seizure from them. I don't know about you but that is scary to me. I don't know if he's currently taking any meds...I can ask my sister. He had to be told to shower AND use soap. He had to be told when to shave... When he was young he hid his school work in his locker...and was having problems. So it has been a long haul for my nephew. But he is successful and he has a nack for singing classical music in other languages.

So don't loose hope. You'll have some trials but you were blessed with a wonderful son and you'll get through this together....little by little.

Regards,
Gretchen

Having sensory issues like that could put him somewhere on the autism spectrum. More likely Aspergers...not low functioning autism like my son. Often kids with mild spectrum disorders are dx'ed as ADHD. It can't hurt to ask for a second opinion. Without a proper DX, proper treatment is unlikely.

"Children with Asperger’s Syndrome suffer from sensory sensitivity or are "sensory defensive". This sensitivity can encompass any or all of the senses: sound, touch, taste, sight, and smell. These sensitivities are real, and cause the sufferer much discomfort, some describing it as ‘painful’. Sensory overload can trigger a meltdown, often being the ‘straw that broke the camel’s back’. Some sensitivity’s will diminish with exposure and the passage of time. Others will remain as severe for life.

Does your child insist on wearing the same clothes, hat or shoes all the time? Does your child ask for the same foods for every meal? Does he/she shy away from outdoor activities or not like the flashing lights at a school disco? Do they become distracted by strong smells, or notice smells before anyone else? Do they get intensely frightened by balloons popping, fireworks or crowds applauding? Then they may have sensory issues.

Some stimuli your child may be sensitive to:-
--Auditory -mower; vacuum; fire alarm; clock ticking
--Visual -sunshine; fluorescent lights; fans; ‘trigger’ colors
--Olfactory (smell) -perfume; deodorant; scented washing powder; toothpaste; insecticides
--Tactile -Shirt; shorts; shoes; socks; static in clothes; feel of wind on skin "
http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/11-8-2005-80891.asp

My 7 year old is on 50 mg of Vyvanse each day. After trying many meds prior to this and being unsuccessful this one has been a HUGE improvement. Otherwise she is very hyper, inattentive, aloof, basically in her own world. She started it in 1st grade last year and the teacher was amazed at how her progress in subjects went way up. But Shelley your son's does sound like the Sensory Disorder. I wish you the best in getting this under control.

C

He does have the olfactory thing going on. Mainly it is with certain smells when I'm (or anyone for that matter) is cooking. It will make him literally sick
sickbyc.gif
We went to a birthday party today, and the little boy's mom told the other kids to pop the balloons. Cris (my son) started covering his ears and crying, and eventually ran into the other room. He hated that they were breaking them, and he tried to 'save' as many as he could. He does eat basically the same thing all the time, either pizza or popcorn nuggets. He will very rarely try anything different. Auditory-wise, mainly the loud noises bother him, but not too many. He is fine around the lawnmower or vacuum, but he hates the TV being too loud. He gets really wound up if there are a lot of people talking, or even a few people talking loudly.

So should I ask the doctor if he thinks my son has autism?? That would really suck...
hit.gif

First get a second opinion. Second take everything you are reading here with a grain of salt and remember that these are opinions only not a professionals diagnosis. As much as we love to offer help this is a very grey area and since we don't live with you and see your child and have first hand knowledge of his behaviors we can't give you much other than support.
Trust the medical community, a lot of progress has been made with ADD, ADHD and Adult forms of each. Too many people have fallen into the mentality of this being a blanket diagnosis and are very quick to advise you not to take medications or certain treatments and usually they have just heard from others or read negative things about it. Some actually do have experience with it and I am not devaluing that, but every person and child is unique and what worked for one might not work for another. As a teacher I work with several different forms of behavorial disorders, organic and not, and I see parents take the word of a neighbor over a trained medical professional.
Please know we are here are for you and offering support, but please don't put your son's health at risk based on opinions.

And please don't crucify me.

Quote:
Very good point. I like the community aspect of forums as a way for people to talk and share with one another...it might make you realize something that you hadn't before or see something from another persons point of view. I see no harm in that. However I whole heartedly agree that you should seek the advise of a doctor in this field (or 3) before coming to an conclusion. (Not that you weren't going to anyway
wink.png
)

What Nikki said.
big_smile.png
We are just making guesses based on limited information filtered through our own experience.

However, I do believe that if you didn't think something was not quite right you wouldn't have asked questions here in the first place.

Our answers may be totally wrong, but your "mommy sense" is telling you something. Listen to that little voice and get more information.

Forgive me for skipping most of the posts but this is a very controversial subject and each parents decision is their own. My son has taken Adderall since he turned 5. I would have liked to start earlier since he has had signs since age 3. He is also mildly retarded and is at the intellectual level of a 3-5 year old depending. My son had 1 year of headstart without medication and 1 year with. His teachers were wonderful. His medication helped him to have more self control and concentration. By the way, its a common misconception that ADHD kids cant sit, if its something stimulating like a movie or something that catches their interest they can sit for quite a while. You mentioned outbursts, has your Dr tested for Tourettes (sp?) Syndrome? I cant say how my son felt when he started meds because he cant tell me stuff like that but I do know unless there are major complications any Dr will tell you to wait at least 2-3 weeks to see any change. And remember, you are just in the beginning. You may change medications till you find the one that works for you. The first thing I did was on online and find as much info as I could and make an appointment at the nearest Childrens Hosp. (well actually the second nearest, the first is our regular hosp just happens to be the local hosp) and get a second opinion. When he starts back to preschool, depending on how good a job you think your teachers are doing, you may or may not want to tell them he has started medication and see if they think he has improved. Medication for ADHD and even the diagnosis itself is controversial. I decided medication for my son was necesary to his saftey, my sanity and his education. On a side note, he has TSS aids (to help keep him focused and safe) this summer he was to a summer camp with the agency he had in preschool, he's now in 1st, he was with the same wonderful man he had and he could not believe the change in him, he was almost in tears. We still increase meds every couple months as he grows but we started with Adderall and now Adderall XR. We have a great Dr and I hope you do too, it makes all the difference. Be sure to get a Pediatric Neonatologist not just a family practioner.

ETA - with the outbursts or "sensory overloads" I call then, try a light pressure rub either on his back or the top of his head and speak gently to him to try to get his mind on something else. My son actually has a pressure vest he wears at school when he needs some extra help. Holding him and rubbing his back has helped pull him out of many fits or overloads, when he was younger stroking his head gently worked well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom