Pics
Brown has been just the thing in jumping saddles! Black is more in style for dressage saddles, but who knows? Styles change, but not a concern for you anytime soon!
Dressage training helps everything!!!
Mary

Funny you mention that, I just found this thread from another forum that mentions exactly what you just said haha never really noticed this before for some reason. I guess cause I don’t show. But I have noticed dressage saddles do always seem to be black. Although according to this they didn’t used to be. It is a fairly recent trend? Seems it’s all about fashion. And for jumping, it does seem brown is in!

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/...r-hunters-jumping-black-tack-for-dressage-why

I am learning a lot of interesting stuff haha thank you replying and helping out btw. Didn’t want to give an incorrect answer or make guesses.

And that is interesting about the dressage training. I wonder if maybe I should try to start that when I start riding again?

I ride english, and want to do show jumping, eventing, or hunter jumper.
I have a saddle, and it's made for jumping. Can you use brown saddles in eventing and show jumping?

Yes, the color doesn't matter, brown is actually in style for hunter and jumper saddles, but dressage saddles should be black, do not need to be though, it's just the current fashion.
Now, eventing has a dressage portion, you will need a dressage saddle for that. You can't really do dressage in a jumping saddle unless the one you have is really an "all purpose" which is what I showed in, it's not ideal for either, but it will function ok for either.

Yes, the color doesn't matter, brown is actually in style for hunter and jumper saddles, but dressage saddles should be black, do not need to be though, it's just the current fashion.
Now, eventing has a dressage portion, you will need a dressage saddle for that. You can't really do dressage in a jumping saddle unless the one you have is really an "all purpose" which is what I showed in, it's not ideal for either, but it will function ok for either.

Yes, I am saving for a dressage saddle. The horse I use in lessons most oftenly is a retired eventer. He is like 16.1 and a dutch warmblood. He was a trained dressage horse then he went to Preliminary Eventing and then he was retired as he was 15. He has a dressage saddle and a jumping one. I occasionally do dressage (in his dressage saddle) with him and its pretty cool. He knows pirouettes and flying lead changes which is cool because it's lucky if you can get the other lesson horses to get the right lead. Not many people like him though, because he cut himself on barbed wire in his old home and now he has a giant scar. (From one shoulder across the chest to the other side on the wither.)

I got waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic.

Yes, I am saving for a dressage saddle. The horse I use in lessons most oftenly is a retired eventer. He is like 16.1 and a dutch warmblood. He was a trained dressage horse then he went to Preliminary Eventing and then he was retired as he was 15. He has a dressage saddle and a jumping one. I occasionally do dressage (in his dressage saddle) with him and its pretty cool. He knows pirouettes and flying lead changes which is cool because it's lucky if you can get the other lesson horses to get the right lead. Not many people like him though, because he cut himself on barbed wire in his old home and now he has a giant scar. (From one shoulder across the chest to the other side on the wither.)

If you are still taking lessons and don't have a horse of your own to fit the saddle to, you might want to look at getting a Wintek with the gullet system, they are pretty easy to measure and change to fit the saddle to your horse and the fake leather is so easy to clean... I have actually taken mine off my horse and tossed it upside down in a full water tub because it was filthy, then scrubbed any remaining dirt off, and hung it up, good to go once it dried. I do suggest getting one of the wintek brand girths though as the rubbery billets are really hard to get to cooperate with a normal girth buckle (the wintek ones have rollers)

If you are still taking lessons and don't have a horse of your own to fit the saddle to, you might want to look at getting a Wintek with the gullet system, they are pretty easy to measure and change to fit the saddle to your horse and the fake leather is so easy to clean... I have actually taken mine off my horse and tossed it upside down in a full water tub because it was filthy, then scrubbed any remaining dirt off, and hung it up, good to go once it dried. I do suggest getting one of the wintek brand girths though as the rubbery billets are really hard to get to cooperate with a normal girth buckle (the wintek ones have rollers)

My jumping saddle is a Wintec ;)
I had it in mind when buying my saddle, for those reasons.

Edit- Before even thinking of buying a new saddle, I need to get a new pair of stirrup irons and leathers! My leathers are torn (cut on wire, not very high quality) and my irons dented (bad fall, horse stepped on them and they now are just wrong.). What is a good pair of stirrup irons and leathers? (High quality but not expensive!)

Last edited:

He sounds like a lovely horse! Do try to get as much saddle time with him as you can because horses like this are few and far in-between.

Back
Top Bottom