Who has Midnight Mystic Marans?

pntdhorses

Songster
6 Years
Oct 18, 2015
SE Kansas
So I had a weak moment at the feed store today which I’m thinking I’m really gonna regret. They had 3 remaining chicks labeled Mystic Marans which I had never heard off. There are probably a little over a week old. Going by there very pale and small combs and wing feathers, I’m thinking I could be lucky and they are pullets.
After doing some research on them, I found out they are sex linked which would have been really nice if the feed store had labeled them as such. So I’m pretty sure all 3 are Roos. But was hoping for some input from someone who might be familiar with them.
E0049D62-F85E-4A84-9ED5-42E057E43427.jpeg

My MM is about 7.5 months old and all black with some green shimmer, dark feet and legs and no feathers on them. Here she was at a few days old:
20 mar 22.jpg
20 mar 25.jpg

This was a couple of weeks ago. She's right behind the Leghorn.
IMG_20201004_091722.jpg

I have 1 MMM hen. She's iridescent black with slate skin. Her legs and feet are clean. She lays huge dark brown eggs. She's so big and beautiful and is a really sweet girl.
I purchased Mally as a sexed pullet, so I'm not sure what the cockerels look like. Since they're basically a mix Marans, the way each bird looks varies. I did hatch one of Mally's eggs that was crossed with a blue silkie and the chick has a bit of brown throughout his blue and black feathering and i feel sure it came from Mally, although she is completely black (and so incredibly gorgeous!). As pale as their faces are, i would think the cockerels will begin to get color before the pullets. That's the only way I'd think to tell.

I have 1 MMM hen. She's iridescent black with slate skin. Her legs and feet are clean. She lays huge dark brown eggs. She's so big and beautiful and is a really sweet girl.
I purchased Mally as a sexed pullet, so I'm not sure what the cockerels look like. Since they're basically a mix Marans, the way each bird looks varies. I did hatch one of Mally's eggs that was crossed with a blue silkie and the chick has a bit of brown throughout his blue and black feathering and i feel sure it came from Mally, although she is completely black (and so incredibly gorgeous!). As pale as their faces are, i would think the cockerels will begin to get color before the pullets. That's the only way I'd think to tell.
I called one of the hatcheries that breeds them. The guy told me that the cockerels have white dots on their heads. That’s what mine have. Also the Roos are barred. These little guys are already getting barring.

I called one of the hatcheries that breeds them. The guy told me that the cockerels have white dots on their heads. That’s what mine have. Also the Roos are barred. These little guys are already getting barring.
Luckily I have found someone to take them. I feel incredibly guilty as they are the sweetest, mellow little babies. I just CANNOT have any more Roos!!!

That makes sense. Mally was solid black as a chick. They are super cute though

Back
Top Bottom