Who has purchased eggs from ebay ? and what was your hatch rate ?

I really believe it makes a difference in where you get them. I have found, by now after years of buying eggs, there are certain areas that just work out better when it comes to shipping to my area. I know that I can get eggs in pretty good shape from the mid west to my area. Florida? No. Not usually. West coast..to Utah, California and Texas is ok. Get further up north, not as good..like Washington and Oregon. I am sure that it will be different for people in other states. You just have to find out which areas are the best for you. :)

++++i had eggs shipped from two hours away and none hatched. They were beautifully packaged. My only successful hatch has been ones I picked up directly from the breeder.

Mine are hatching! So far I have 3 chicks. I started with 8, 3 quit, with a potential 4th that quit. I expect 4 chicks to hatch, possibly the 5th. These are from Riverside Silkies. I know someone else who had a decent hatching rate with them as well.

After pretty much failed attempt at my first hatch with eBay egg with only 6 making it to lockdown and only 2 hatching out of 22 eggs.

This is my second attempt, but this time with local hatchery eggs and its with the JN8-48 automatic incubator purchased from ebay. I have set 24 eggs in there(3 infertile) And 17 possibly 18 have made it to lockdown today. Which is a pretty big improvement.

So pretty much come to the conclusion that with eBay eggs unless you can assure your buyer is a packing genius and is genuine with their eggs which I know many aren't then go ahead and order from them. But I will not be :)

Mine are hatching! So far I have 3 chicks. I started with 8, 3 quit, with a potential 4th that quit. I expect 4 chicks to hatch, possibly the 5th. These are from Riverside Silkies. I know someone else who had a decent hatching rate with them as well.
Awwww, that is so adorable!! :) Good luck with the rest of them!!! :)
After pretty much failed attempt at my first hatch with eBay egg with only 6 making it to lockdown and only 2 hatching out of 22 eggs. This is my second attempt, but this time with local hatchery eggs and its with the JN8-48 automatic incubator purchased from ebay. I have set 24 eggs in there(3 infertile) And 17 possibly 18 have made it to lockdown today. Which is a pretty big improvement. So pretty much come to the conclusion that with eBay eggs unless you can assure your buyer is a packing genius and is genuine with their eggs which I know many aren't then go ahead and order from them. But I will not be :)
I've got two different batches of eBay eggs in lockdown right now. The Cream Legbars and Black Copper Marans. So far 3 pips and one just hatched!! One of the pips is on the wrong end of the egg but I can see it breathing so it didn't drown like the ones last week. :) http://instagram.com/p/a03JVsIThN/

I had a lady sell me eggs local i looked at her coop and set up as she asked me to do since she was new her hens where all beautiful barred rocks
all 16 of her chickens where laying eggs so instead of realising her luck she thought one hen was laying 2 eggs a day instead of them all being hens LMAO needless to say i told her and she got a roo now i have some of her eggs in my bator in hopes i can hatch some for a friend its been 4 months since the roo and she had him with just 5 of her hens .

I only had a 25% hatch rate, while my own eggs had about a 75% hatch rate.However it depends on when you buy them, who you get them from, and where they come from.

Last edited:
I had two batches from the same eBay seller and the first batch 13/15 made it to lockdown. Of the second batch only 5/15 made it to lockdown. Eggtopsies on the culled eggs showed that they were all scrambled and hadn't grown at all. Lucky these 5 have made it this far.

Which encourages my theory that it's luck of the draw when it comes to USPS. No matter how well they are packed, if you get a grumpy mail person you may end up with a bad hatch rate.

Has anyone bought a good duel purpose barred rock eggs off e-bay. I see a lot of different people selling them but not sure on the results of they're chickens.

I must agree on where the eggs come from and IF the seller even owns a rooster. These people are making money hands down and only wants to be graded on the packaging. I have bought many eggs from eBay. Few hatch. The best hatches I've ever had were from bluewaterranch in Livingston, Texas. (Helen) The last eggs I bought from eBay I put under a broody hen and had none to hatch out of 13 eggs. Good luck. Just for the record it isn't so much about a grumpy carrier delivering the eggs but with the eggs being in HOT trucks then cool offices are your biggest postal problems. I worked delivering eggs, chickens and mail for 40 years so I can honestly say don't put all the blame on the workers because they are usually very careful with fragile and sensitive items.

Back
Top Bottom