Who has raised Buff orpingtons before?

I am raising 3 buff orpington chicks at the moment and was wondering if anyone else has or is planning to or has some in their flock now!
1 beautiful bird, friendly, big, almost constantly broody, hogged favorite nesting box (1 of 4), threw other 4 off, pain in the neck. My only experience.

My current flock is 8 hatchery Buff Orpingtons, and the flock I grew up with was the same. I adore them, but I'd agree the roosters were consistently jerks for me. The one I hand raised treated me like a hen, and he wasn't a gentleman to the hens at all. The girls have always been the sweetest--even my broody allows me to pet, check eggs, and transport with no issues. Really impressed with their tameness despite the fact that I didn't get to baby them much as chicks and still have limited time with them as adults. Right now I'm trying out a rooster from a different breed to see if I can get something better than my usual luck.

I've got 4 buff Orpington ladies! ❤ Buffy, Willow, Cordelia, and Anya. (Bonus points if you get the theme of names 🤣) Anya was originally named Spike, we thought she was a cockerel at first because she combed out so fast, but nope... from what y'all say about Orpie roos, sounds like we got lucky!

I'm hoping they go broody later this spring... I'd love to have my girls hatch a clutch and get some wee chickies running around here! 😍 But they'll be crosses, as my roos are a black copper Maran (Chipotle) and a blue gold Brahma (Cocky Balboa). I do have 3 buff Brahma hens and 1 partridge Brahma, so we might get some fun Brahma colors... and I'm curious to see what crosses with those boys and the buff Orpingtons would look like.

We started our flock out seven years ago with three Buff Orpingtons. (the three shown in my profile pic)

We still have one of the original members, Tiny. She is the head hen in our flock. Very calm assertive in her flock management, a bit of a princess 🙂

The three of them had completely different individual personalities from day-one. One would go broody quite frequently and quit laying, so we eventually re-homed her to someone looking for a broody hen to hatch eggs. (funny enough we named her Big Mama as a chick, it was almost obvious she was going to be a broody hen early on)

Our third, T-Rex, died suddenly a little over a year old. No signs of illness or anything, it was like she had a sudden heart attack or something. She was funny as a chick because she had a giant head and would run around the brooder like a T-Rex, thus the name 🦖 She was a super sweet hen.

Back
Top Bottom