Who has raised Buff orpingtons before?

Pics
I'm thinking that maybe a few of the bigger hatcheries just breed a lot of aggressive roosters, because so many of you have said you have issues with it; Also because it's partially genetic

I am raising 3 buff orpington chicks at the moment and was wondering if anyone else has or is planning to or has some in their flock now!
Sadly I only have 2 now, a Roo and a Pullet,
the youngest started fading earlier and she passed away peacefully in my arms
:hit

I currently have six buff orpingtons which i refer to as buffingtons. They are mid sized birds in my posse of hens and two roosters. only due to the fact that we have black giants that are HUGE (you should see their eggs they lay, absolutely twice the size of regular eggs). They are lovely hens (buffingtons), very sweet tempered and nice to the other hens. They are also consistent layers :)

I have 3 lavender orpingtons. They are very curious and friendly to people. But they refuse to let my 3 legbar chicks eat with them. They are one week older and a fair amount bigger for it. They were super sweet and motherly towards the legbars until a few days ago. Suddenly they realized they were different and split into two flocks. Half the time they sleep in a pile on the floor. The rest of the time they spend about an hour getting arranged on the pirch in a particular order. Even which way they face seems to be an issue. There is deffinately a head legbar too. She jousts with the orpington's constantly and grazes with them sometimes. When all are full grown I think she will be alpha.

You're in for a good time, in my experience they have a 100% chance of being nice and a 30% chance of being nice and cuddly. I love hanging out with my buffs :D

I ended up with a buff Orpington last year when I went to the feed store for my first chickens. the breeds were listed along with pictures of the adults. I wanted 2 so they could be friends, without going too far in because I wasn’t sure how I would like chickens (lol!). I got a barnevelder (I was attracted to their pretty colors and dark brown eggs) and a lavender Orpington (grey is my favorite color). when I got home I realized I needed another chick already and went back for the classic yellow peep - my buff. I’m so glad I did! her name is Orphelia and she is the queen of the yard. she’s definitely in charge and clearly the “smart” one. she “races” me to the garden. if I run, she has to run ahead. we say it looks like she’s holding up her dress and running in her heels. late for her wedding lol. she’s generally quiet and content in the run or free ranging the yard but still finds a way to make fun for herself and others - including the dogs! I’m new to chickens still but I love the Orpingtons so much! the depth of color in their feathers is so pretty. now I need to collect them all. I’m so jealous of all the chocolate orps in the thread. but I did get a jubilee this year :)

Attachments

• 83FB7DEF-37FE-488D-A5B3-726D87037FFE.jpeg
    83FB7DEF-37FE-488D-A5B3-726D87037FFE.jpeg
    824.2 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom