Who has the most spoiled Chickens?

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
I was wondering this last night as I was catching bugs and dumping them into the chicken run. They sure loved this. I wondered if anybody else was more pathic than I am.
ya.gif

LOL!! This will be a cute thread to read!! I think we all spoil our chickens...I know I do...but I think Cheeptick has one that takes the cake!!! Is it spoiled if a chicken insists on a personal tuck-in each night???
lau.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
Mine get treats daily...when I buy one watermelon or cantaloupe for the family, I buy an extra one for y chickens. During the winter months here in northern Wisconsin, I have been known to cook up warm oatmeal and white rice with cinnamon and a touch of brown sugar for my flock. On the cards I put up to advertise my eggs around town....it says "Spoiled hens lay the best eggs!" Love my chickies? YOU BET!

I walk around the house catching bugs too. I also hand pick very green, juicy grass for them. I purchase fruit and produce for them also. My dh thinks they eat better then him.

Do you consider a chicken coop with an air conditioner spoiled? Or chicken diapers and chickens having their own box of oatmeal, yogurt etc. as well as a cabinet full of stuff just for them spoiled? Does a garden just for them constitute spoiled? Just curious...guess mine are spoiled then.

Wow, chicken's like watermelon? I'm going to go try that out. I've got a watermelon I'll try it out on them. I know they love ripe cherry tomatoes, they get those fairly often, and always a select tender grasses. So much so, that they come a running when the back door closes. I also give them the tips of corn on the cop I cut off because of worms. (I leave the worms in for them)

roll.png
I catch bug as well to give to the chicks....

They share the fruit we buy.......... in fact I think they get more of it than we do!

Well, I only have two grown hens, but they sleep in the house at night because one has night terrors, so she cant sleep inside without the OTHER one, can she????

(My two baby chickies dont count yet, of COURSE they have to sleep inside, they are babeeeees!)

Our five girls live in a 5 x 12 run, and every morning I go out and dig up a big clump of weeds for them to dig through and eat while I'm at work during the day. Extra food treats of all types of course, including their morning dish of yogurt. They also get mealworms twice a day (expensive!). At night I tuck them in by giving each a gentle pat on their fluffy back and saying "sweet chicken dreams". Yes, they're spoiled, but I prefer to think of it as "loved".

Oh My. This all sounds so familiar so I guess I'm not the only one. Mine get treats twice a day and lots of attention. I tuck them in their coop at night and let them out at 7 each morning except for Henry. His door stays open but he's early to bed and early to rise.
The girls are only 9 weeks old so I don't want them cold at night so I have their heat lamp on at night. It's up very high so it heats the whole coop.
My hubby is in stitches all the time watching me fuss with these chickens and yet he is out building another run on the other side of the coop for them. He called this morning from the office and said he'd been thinking about it and he needs to go ahead and put in a concrete footing around it because we had a skunk digging at the backyard fence.
So he is getting the bug about them also!!!

Jacie

Back
Top Bottom