Who has the most spoiled Chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoneCowboy, Sep 20, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Ok, these are all good, and yes, they are all spoiled!!! [​IMG]

I tired the watermelon. Note: 4 big chuncks of watermelon is not enough for 14 wild and crazy hens. [​IMG]

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    We've started buying crickets for our hens, since we can't find many bugs in the yard.

Ours also get corn tops with worms intact. And corn cobs after dinner because they pick them cleaner than we do.

And I cook extra noodles on spaghetti night becaise the peeps love them so.

3. peeps7

peeps7 Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Mine get oatmeal with fruit and splenda in it, well they didn't get splenda today cause dad dad didn't like the idea of me giving them splenda.

4. 6chix

6chix Songster

Jul 24, 2007
    Western Ma
    The girls get free roam of the yard. They also get grapes, watermelon, rice, spagetti, cracked corn, and I occasionally buy them a container of trout worms. What they would really like is a bucket of frogs and snakes.

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Wow, some of these responses don't make me feel so bad; ours know when lunchtime is (noon) and they will collect on the front porch and wait for me to come out and eat my lunch in the sunshine with them. They are joined by our dogs and cats; We all sit around and eat, and of course, I have to bring extra for all my feathered and furred friends, and make sure everyone gets some...I have my office out of the house, so convenient for everyone! We will get extra goodies at the store sometimes for our chickens, too...mmmm,pears!!!!. I know for a fact that extra love makes premium eggs...and we have an ever-growing egg clientele to prove it!

6. Ma

Ma Songster

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Spoiled???? Spoiled you say????

We BUY eggs...........their favorite "come into the coop its bedtime girrrrrlllllllssss" treat...........

They love the yolks, now I've added nearly $2.50 a week to buy eggs for my chickens.....................[​IMG]

Help.

7. backyardgirls

backyardgirls In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    Bakersfield, CA
    Spoiled?? I'd say pampered......Every morning I cut up fruit (cantelope and grapes) for my girls and mix it with oatmeal and a few spoons full of yogurt. Then I spread around oats and scratch for them to look for during the day so they don't get bored in the run.
    I wonder if they appreciate the care I take in planning their menus???? I even find myself browsing the pasta/grain isle at the store wondering if the chickens would like orzo vs. brown rice [​IMG]
    The point is I'm not a breakfast eater, I've never had the time... for my girls its a well balanced meal!!! [​IMG]

Am I going slightly chicken crazy???

8. wischickenlover

wischickenlover Songster

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    I forgot, I also make a double-batch of pancakes so I have plenty of extras for the chickies. Mine also love spaghetti, and get lots of that too. Lonecowboy, I should have specified-My 64 chickens get a whole watermelon amongst them-they lose their minds!

9. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Songster

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Today was leftovers from supper the other night for treat time. A little steak & ribs from the grill, mashed potatoes, also had three little sausage links and some green tomatoes. Dos that account for spoiled?

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

Wow.. your birds are spoiled... mine eat scraps and leftovers we humans dont want as treats. Sometimes they look at me with disappointment when their treat turns out to be potato peels with onion skins ontop. They don't even touch it and follow me back to the front door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: