who hates it when someone who has never raised chickens before thinks

Quote:
Seems to me that it's the most inexperienced people who give advice. The most educated experienced people tell what works for them. (but you have to pry it out of them)

what bothers me more is when people buy birds from a hatchery and say that they wanna show and they dont research the breed before they buy, then get crappy stock and ask if they are show quality

On that note, I have an interesting story I was told by a long-time chicken owner:

I bought two silkie hens from a lady who had a flock of about 10 with a purebred rooster in the coop. The next day a lady I work with bought one of the hens from me as was the plan from the beginning. Her hen, "Sweetie", laid an egg a day for the next three days. I told my co-worker that I would happily incubate her eggs if I could keep 1 if they all hatched. She agreed and brought them to me the next day with a concern about something her aunt, the chicken keeper I mentioned in the beginning sentence, had told her when she informed her of my plan to incubate: her aunt said it didn't matter that the hen HAD been with a roo up until 4 days previous; she had to be with a roo daily for her eggs to hatch. What?? I asked my co-worker what her aunt would think when she brought home a couple of purebred silkies from the eggs and she said her aunt wouldn't believe they were really from the eggs she gave me to hatch. My co-worker, luckily, believes me and thinks her aunt is too "clever for her own good" and doesn't know what she's talking about. Fast forward 21 days and I delivered two adorable purebred silkie chicks, solid white like their mother, to my co-worker. Her aunt is disgruntled but seems to have changed her tune, and my co-worker's chicks are now 4 months old and beloved by her and her kids, lol.

And if I hear one more time that chickens regulate heat through their combs, I'm gonna puke. If that is completely true, what about my game rooster whose comb is non-existent due to fighting through a fence at his previous owner's? He must always be over-heating, LOL

Back
Top Bottom