Who here has brought home more chicks then they originally planned?

We originally ordered Welsummer baby chicks from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio - 14 female and 2 males but Meyer called day they were to ship and told us the Welsummer's didn't hatch out and gave us choice of three other breeds instead so we picked Barred Rocks and due to the price difference ( i.e., BRs chicks were cheaper than Welsummers ) so instead of refund we opted for more chicks which was to be 24 females and 3 males but when they came in the mail Meyer had made a mistake and doubled our order so we ended up with 54 baby chicks with a brooder built to house the originally ordered 16 chicks! They are five weeks old now and we've been able to make it work -
just transferred them last weekend to their chicken house and they are all thriving and seem very content!

I think that is almost a GIVEN....that once you decide to get chickens....you inevitably end up with more than you intended! I certainly did! I even have "justification" "rationalization" for getting more! We got 95% of our chicks from a private breeder.....and so they are all straight run! I figured Murphy's law would kick in and if I got far more than I intended I would end up with closer to the number of hens I wanted...I'll keep you posted and let you know how that works out for us....as we have fallen in love with most of them. It is a good thing that we are not in a place where we can keep the roosters!

Time will tell.....and "chicken math" strikes again!

me
wee.gif
i thought 10 was good number so i got 6 at TSC 4 production reds and 2 bantys then i wanted one with feathers on it's feet so i got 2 black cochin bantys(i think) that's 8 then i stopped at my local co-op "just to check" and got 3 Blue Andy's and a Silver Spangle Hamburg that made 12 then it was my late grandfather's b-day and i wanted to get a "cool" chick in his honor and came home with 2 polish and 4 "rescued" bantys for that made 18 then we lost a banty that afternoon so were down to 17 then we went back and got a turken so we were back up to 18 then 2 days later i lost a polish(my grandpa chick) and my hubby says it's a shame your little q-tip died so we went back to Bucheits when he got back the next week and got 2 more polish so that made 19 and i had to get feed at TSC a few days later and they just happen to have to silkies and a chipmunk banty left and i'd been looking for silkies and i couldn't leave the little banty all alone now could i so that made 22 and then hubby wanted some amerucana's so we got 4 of them and 2 lavendar ops and 2 rumpless from a breeder so that brings my total to 30 and i still don't have a coop i have the materials i just can't get the weather to behave long enough and keep my hubby home long enough to get it built and my oldest ones are almost 7 weeks old so for the right now everyone resides in my hubby's shop and i couldn't be happier
celebrate.gif

Haha this is fun! Well I told hubby I was thinking of getting 12...well you should plan for some to not make it, right? So we got 16. 6 isa brown and 8 barred rocks. 2 days later I decided I needed to add some "color" to my flock so we get 3 ees and 2 bantys. Well I got addicted to figuring out the bantys breed and went back for more...got 4 more bantys and 1 more ee. The next tsc delivery day we get 3 ducks. So we had 16, add 5 = 21 + 5 = 26. Pkus 3 ducks = 29. Well 29 is a really odd number...we will see what tsc delivers today!
big_smile.png

Um, I went to the feed store, planning on getting ZERO, and my husband talked me into six, then I talked my self into six more.....

So I've got FOURTEEN MORE than I planned.......ARG!
roll.png

Started with 5 Cornish Mutts 3-years ago.

Bought 10 BO hens

Bought 80 assorted old hens (brown egg layers) 2 years ago from a neighbor.
Lost a few that winter.
Still had 54 at start of last winter.

Bought another 101 assorted brown egg layers from MM in January... they sent 110

Got a call from Thiesen's 2 weeks ago..."your chicks are in."
oooops..forgot about asking for these, Add 11 leghorns.

At last count, I have 156 birds. Plus or minus.
hide.gif

None of this counts meat birds. They don't have birthdays.

I went for some items at the farm store, wife and child went along, took home 6 peeps, 2 Barrd Rocks, 2 Golden Sexlinks, 1 Ameircauna, 1 Buff Orpington, gives us 8 total with 1 adult Barrd Rock and 1 Rhode Island Red. They are 5 weeks old now and quickly growing put of space in large dog kennel, working a storage shed/coop while they get ready for the adult run and coop.

Back
Top Bottom