Who here has brought home more chicks then they originally planned?

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
So, who here has brought home more chicks then they originally planned? How many more?

I was only going to have two girls.
lau.gif
Two is defiantly not enough. Now we have 5 beautiful girls.
celebrate.gif
woot.gif
wee.gif
Unfortunatly, my city only allows 7 without a permit. I guess I have room for two more???
hide.gif

You'd have a much shorter list if you asked who didn't bring home more than they planned.
I definitely brought home than my husband planned.
lol.png
Double the amount, actually.
rant.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have changed my mind on breed and quality so often it's just amazing!

First I wanted RIRs. Then I started doing some research and decided I wanted specked sussex and Delawares. But then McMurray was out of Delawares so I changed them to Buff Rocks and placed my order. Then I found this board and decided I no longer wanted hatchery birds so I cancelled my order. I found a lady not far away that has specked sussex (Nadine). Then there was this swap at tractor supply and I got some speckled sussex (6) from a man there and also some Blue Lace Red Wyandottes (8). Still getting more pullets from Nadine next weekend. And then to top it all off, Nadine told me about a man who lives not even 15 miles away that has Delawares!! So I'll be getting a few of them (5 weeks old) from him this week! How's that?? lol!!

We told our son he could have the 25 that come thru 4H. They kept being backordered while our neighbor kept buying some chicks. I felt bad because ds was so anxious for his chickens to arrive. I told ds that he could buy 6 at TSC when they next came in. They didn't come in that day and ds was so depressed that my parents took us (ds, dd, and myslef) to the next feed store 30 miles away where they happily bought ds 11 chicks and 2 ducks! See, what no one told me was that chicken math + grandparents = ducks!
th.gif
:th
So then the 4H ones have arrived but since the hatchery was not able to keep up, each kid only received 20. My son was sad but then another 4H friend had 5 more than he wanted and gave those to ds. 3 days later we were in TSC for supplies and ds spends his allowance on 3 tetra tints and 3 comets.

Kept up yet? We have had one fatality which means we now have 41 chicks that range in age from 2 weeks to 7ish weeks. Oh, and 2 ducks.
wee.gif

So I think we are finally done. Then my next door neighbor comes home from a poultry swap. How do I find out? Well, ds comes running in the house and says, "Hey, Mom ! DId you know we could go buy full grown chickens? Mr. B went to a chicken swap Saturday and, well, just come look! Can I go to the next one with him if I save my allowance???"

And, yes, I said he could go to one as soon as we have the run fixed and these ladies are a bit older. I hope he doesn't manage to save lots of money.
wink.png

Wow that's a lot of chickens. We get about that many broilers each year but the kids don't get terribly attached to them knowing they will be dinner someday. My mom told me I was crazy and that we should have egg chickens and if we got hungry we should just eat one because that's what people did in the old days. I am not sure I could do that because we are allowed to get attached to the eggies but she says a chicken is a chicken lol. My son is hoping to get rich selling eggs to the neighbors and I am just hoping for some really nice chickens around the house lol.

Back
Top Bottom