Who is hatching on Easter Weekend?

lau.gif

Today is day 5 for me. As I was turning them this afternoon I stopped to candle a couple of them and was pleased to see some veining. I will be happy with a 50% hatch on shipped eggs but it sure would be more fun to hatch out most of them.

We candled last night while turning.

Excellent!!! Some are growing
clap.gif

This is our first time so we are eggstra eggsited. My bathroom has become the most popular room in the house.

The blue was th easiest to see through, the green was one of the harder ones. The lighter browns were ok, but I couldn't see a bloomin thing through the dark brown shells. My daughter said she could see the veins so time will tell. I think I have 2 not developing but I will be checking them over the next week or so because it really is hard to see through those brow shells.

How's everyone else?
Michelle

Well I candled and it looks like out of 39, 33 are growing and doing well. I ended up with 3 blood rings and 3 possible clears. The clears will get to stay a while longer and the blood rings will get promoted.

I have great hopes for this hatch. I am hatching them for my mother who was finally persuaded (read that "dragged kicking and screaming") to have chickens if I hatched and started brooding them. I had more than would fit in my turner so I have been turning them by hand using cartons and setting the 3 extras on top of the full cartons. I have a thermometer in each corner with an oral mercury thermometer in the middle. They seem to vary somewhat and so as I am tilting them back and for three times a day and them every 2 days I turn the cartons end to end and shuffle the order they are in. I hope it helps. I wonder what my mom will do with 33 chicks if they all hatch.
lol.png
I told her I would be lucky to get half of them to hatch.

How are ya'll doing with your hatches?

Well, I was doing grand. And really I still am. I had one little mishap. A friend called with a bunch of fertile eggs and no roome in her bator. Well, what's a girl to do? I jumped in the car and ran right over. Now I have more eggs, didn't count - afraid to know...

So, the first batch looks good. I have 12, one looks like it might be clear and one looks like it might be a blood ring. I'm new to this and it is a darker shell, hard to see in, should I pitch it now or give it a few more days to see if it's veining. It is tough to tell... it looks like there might be a few more lines in other areas, like veining would be. But it also has a pretty distinct line running diagonlly across what I call the front.

But I do have at least 10 confirmed swimmers!!!!

clap.gif

Michelle

My Easter babies should hatch between Fri and Mon. I have 30 Barred Rock, 18 EE, 5 Silkie, 5 Frizzle, 15 C Maran and 5 Maran/Wy mixed eggs in the bator.

frow.gif
ME ME ME

I have muscovy hatching that weekend... silkies the weekend b-4.... wait thats this weekend
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

I also having an order fromIdeal coming in the weekend after.
hide.gif

Yep and I just got the brooder cleaned out from the last batch...

DH I swear I don't know where they came from.
hu.gif

Michelle, give that egg a couple more days and then recandle with a stronger light. I left all my six question mark eggs in and rechecked today with a stronger light. Guess what? Only two of the six left the bator. The others looked better and I think I saw movement in all four of them. So I am back up to 37 of 39. I am pleased, but still not
counting my chicks before they hatch....just counting the possibilities.

Of the two I took out, the one with the blood ring was just that. The other one looked like it quit on day 2 or so.

Michelle, I am assuming by now that you have come to terms with your "mishap"....how many extras did you end up with? What are you going to do about the split hatch?

Back
Top Bottom