Who is hatching out your goose eggs?

Cottage Rose

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Mid west Michigan
Incubator, duck or chicken???
I got Muscovies to set on the goose eggs so I didn't have to artificially incubate them
(a chore I DO NOT relish)
but my Muscovies are so late spring to go broody I never
seem to get the opportunity to let the ducks
hatch out the goose eggs.
hmm.png

I don't let my geese hatch them out for the most part because
I want them to continue to lay.
Sebastopol Geese don't lay very many eggs and have
a short breeding season so I don't like to disrupt their laying with setting duty's.

I really would like to find something that would be big enough and go broody early enough in a cold climate
like Michigan to set on goose eggs.
Any recommendations?
How do you hatch out your eggs?

Setting Sebsatopol Goose
(Kat this is Saffron & Bella setting on Peep)
standard.jpg

Last edited:
Standard cochin. Loads of fluff, big body. Make sure its a standard size though.

I have a cochin ROO who broods my babies. VERY broody breed, in my experience. Cold hardy, friendly (even while broody) and will hatch/brood tennis balls, wooden eggs, and even smooth round rocks...in addition to real eggs.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Hey Jean...after a little break in the weather we're back to high winds, snow and freezing temps...
AH-gain!
barnie.gif

Thanks barnwife!
smile.png

I would like to hear from some Northerners on Cochins.
Any recommendations for a very broody strain/source?

Hey I recognize that gander!!! hes the one who tries to kill me every time i get near his girl!!!

Last fal I got blue swedish ducks to hopefully set on some of my goose eggs this year... will let ya know how that goes. They are laying now so hope they go broody soon.

I use standard cochins to start peafowl eggs and am thinking I'll see if they can cover a couple goose eggs too.

I have one sebastopol goose I may let go broody and have her start eggs for a week.... then replace them with new eggs and put her eggs int he incubator. that first week is so important so getting a live bird to start them naturally will give them a headstart.

we have a big cochin mix hen that will set all year long if you let her. I bet I could get at least 4-5 eggs under her. We use the old redwood incubator, but after 12 eggs being duds I am finally getting fertile ones......wheeewee:p

Quote:
Meringue is the same way.
He is hell bent on getting me when I collect eggs.

Kat are the Blue Swedish suppose to be real broody?

I really dont know. I havent been able to find anyone that could give me that answer.... I got them anyway just cuz I like the looks of them. I will say that they lay A LOT of eggs!!

Back
Top Bottom