Who is having trouble hatching goose eggs this year?

I've thrown out about 25 sebastopol eggs that have quit between 2-3 weeks of incubation. I have 8 live goslings at the moment out of around 40 or more eggs that were set.

The most recent eggs seem to be doing better, but the official verdict is still out.

So sorry to hear about all you folks not having good results
hmm.png

Our hatching is going well but in the unusually warm, dry warm weather the Toulouse have either gone broody or gone out of lay
hmm.png

We certainly wont be hatching big numbers this year! Added to that we've had problems with erratic fertility.

Pete
wink.png

pips&peeps :

I've thrown out about 25 sebastopol eggs that have quit between 2-3 weeks of incubation. I have 8 live goslings at the moment out of around 40 or more eggs that were set.

The most recent eggs seem to be doing better, but the official verdict is still out.

I have had very similar results. Out of the last 40-50 eggs, I only have 10 babies. My first hatch of the year was great with an 80% hatch rate, but since then I have been disappointed. I have decided to just let my girls sit on a nest and try to hatch the babies themselves.​

Well, my Tufted Buff sat on 5 eggs. One hatched and I got it and saved it. But he was covered in STINK! One had pipped , but another goose was sitting near it out of the nest. I shewed the other geese away and put it back under mom, where there was only one other egg and shell fragments. today , the baby was dead smashed still partly in shell, and no other bodies, but STINK! Last year , her first year , she sat 10 eggs and they just "disapeared".....

Im thinking about getting into the incubation process with geese. I was wondering how much money you get for sebbies gos.,and African gos.? Do u sell the Fertilized eggs? Just wanna get all info. I can before I start this project. This is my first time i would be doing it so im really wondering what the benefits are?
Thanks
T.

I am having problems finding fertile goose eggs! I have a 12yr old goose setting on a rock & infertile egg! Please need help finding her some fertile eggs! I only have 2 hens left. I would appreciate any help!!

My first geese egg, died while hatching. Toulouse gosling.
The next 3 Toulouse eggs, hatch with help but stayed alive.Local pickup
Bought 12 eggs from eBay and 3hatch with help but are still alive. The rest of the eggs had bad smell or did not developed . Had bought after that 2 extra Pomeranian eggs but no luck with those.
Bought 4 Sebastopol and 1 did not develop at all and 2 look alive, developing, and 1 not so sure.
I keep my fingers cross for the last geese eggs and really pray I get at least 1.
Those gosling are really cute and make up for all the ones that don't make it. It makes me really happy if they make it with or without help,as long as they stay alive.
Goodluck hatching

I'm doing fine this year. I've got about 50 goslings out so far from my first two settings with the third hatching now and a fourth due in two weeks. Stopped collecting eggs after setting fourth batch. Didn't even bother letting the geese set themselves this year as the 50 from the first two batches is more than i'll ever need anyways.

Now ducks on the other hand has been an entirely different story.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom