Who is having trouble hatching goose eggs this year?

Serina81

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Lucerne Valley, CA
I raise cotton patch geese and I have had only five out of about 100 eggs hatch this year. I also received a call from a breeder in Canada today who reported that many of the breeders up there are having the same problem. Is anybody else having hatching problems?

I have had about a 50% hatch rate with shipped pilgrim geese eggs this year so far. I have 22 in lockdown and it looks like from where this batch started it will be more like 70% hopfully.

Quote:
Wow, that hatch rate really sucks! I'm sorry about that!

I had a 50% hatch rate with personally picked up Sebastopol eggs.
Pretty good considering A- they're Sebastopols and B- I used a lesser quality incubator

Yea, especially considering that I have over 10 people who have already paid for goslings
th.gif

Here in the UK Im finding fertility a little erratic though its never fantastic with Dewlap Toulouse. So far hatching rates are ok but its too early to judge overall for me.

Pete
wink.png

I had terrible luck with goose eggs last year. I had over 30 goose eggs shipped to me. Of those 30+ eggs I had 3 hatch, only 1 of which lived. This year I'm having much better luck. I've had some clear eggs or early blood rings from shipped eggs, but from the 9 eggs I've set from my embdens I've hatched 3 goslings so far and 4 eggs are in the incubator. 2 of the 4 had pips at last check.
smile.png

I'm sure the weather has had a lot to do with it this year. I hope it works out better for you before the season is over.

Back
Top Bottom