Who is keeping their chickens in the basement because of the heat?

I'd be the last one to criticize you for saving it. My dog got hold of a couple of baby robins early in the summer, and I had to euthanize them because he had hurt them too badly to survive. IT took all my will power to do it, but they were in pain and suffering. I'd have brought them in if they had a chance. Not sure about a starling, but any suffering creature deserves a thought at least.

Quote:

Oh, I'm so sorry that you had to put the robins out of their misery, but it was necessary and the kindest thing to do! I've had to do that before, too, and cried while I did it and afterwards for awhile. Thank you for your kind words and support!

I had one of my girls in the house yesterday to cool down a bit. She was looking very lethargic. Perked right up in the AC! Hubby wasn't thrilled, but...
wink.png

66970_lilliecomputer.jpg

Because of the heat.....They have cages outside with box fans but it just wasn't enough. So they have moved into cages in the laundry room for the rest of summer.

Quote:
Putting them each in their own small cage might help. Then line them up side by side. That is how I have had mine inside when the weather is super cold or super hot!

Thank you for your suggestions! Our temps here in upper eastern Kansas have returned to more 'seasonal' temps, but still with the high humidity. My husband has put a small air conditioner in our chicken coop in order to get our seven chickens out of our basement. It was really getting to me to have to clean up after them two and three times every day! My sister-in-law told me about an article that informed people that having chickens may not be worth the risk of obtaining a fungal lung infection! The article also said that children should not go around chickens or into their coop! Ahhh! My grandsons LOVE my chickens and often help with chores! I TRY to keep my chickens' accommodations, inside and out, clean and picked up every day. I also spray essential oils mixed with purified water in their coop. Does anyone know of anything else that I can do to help prevent this 'lung infection' thing? I LOVE my chickie-babies and do NOT want to give them up!!!!! HELP!

Ive heard about getting fungus/cancer in your lungs from chicken/turkey poop. Heard about it on Doug Kaufmans "Know the Cause"
My hen house floor is the ground and I put hay in there pretty deep. When I do clean it out I wear a mask. I dont wet down the hen house,(just the yard) however its not water proof. If we have a heavy rain, or even snow, its in the hen house, The snow blows in and the rain runs in on the ground.

pam in TX

Back
Top Bottom