Who is laying the olive egg? added picture

babyrnlc

Songster
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
Tulsa, Ok
Ok, We just got over a molt and some kind of respiratory illness. The girls are starting to lay again. The last few days someone has laid a olive egg. I am at a loss to who this could be. The only thing I can think of is pamela (our blue ee) , she laid a sage colored egg, like a light olive, maybe it got darker?

The other three EE lay a bright bluish green egg. We have some chicks that are coming on 6 months, but none should lay green eggs. We have a few leghorns, a Salmon faverolle, a brabanter and 2 buff orpingtons. We also have a barnevelder, who squatted. Then we have these two chicks that I was told here are roosters, but have not crowed and are 6 months. They were supposed to be black copper marans pullets, but look like some sort of cross.

Any ideas?

Here is a picture. The eggs next to the darker one is Pamela's. She has either jumped up production and added some darker ones or these are some one else's, but who's? There are also some from my dark cornish in there.
olive-1.jpg

Last edited:
As hens continue to lay the color gets lighter. Once they molt and start laying again the eggs will be darker than they usually are.

Quote:
Marans crossed with a blue egg layer will give you an olive egg... If you have supposed marans that look like mixes - one of them is probably your culprit

Except they are oth supposed to be roos according to byc'ers

Quote:
Ah ha, that is it.

But would she lay light eggs and dark eggs at the same time? That also means that she has laid two eggs in one day. (Which my dc has done that)

Quote:
Ah ha, that is it.

But would she lay light eggs and dark eggs at the same time? That also means that she has laid two eggs in one day. (Which my dc has done that)

I've read that the colour does not greatly change.. From what I have experienced, my hens all lay the same size/shape/colour egg as they usually do. I can tell my BR's egg from my Delaware's egg. I can also pick out my production red's egg out of the three... I know they get lighter as time goes on, but to lay an egg that dark, and another egg that light within days of each other, doesn't seem plausible.

Quote:
Ah ha, that is it.

I've read that the colour does not greatly change.. From what I have experienced, my hens all lay the same size/shape/colour egg as they usually do. I can tell my BR's egg from my Delaware's egg. I can also pick out my production red's egg out of the three... I know they get lighter as time goes on, but to lay an egg that dark, and another egg that light within days of each other, doesn't seem plausible.

That was my thinking, though someone suggested it is like the wellies running out of paint. Maybe her paint is just coming back after the molt? It is the same shade just quite a bit darker.

Great. Now I am more confused. We got a rescue EE last spring/early summer. (Sonya) She laid when she was in isolation and they were a pretty blue green egg. She quit laying when we put her in with the girls. (They are mean to her). She laid in an old cage (the isolation cage) today, it was blue green (unless it was already there).

After I cleaned the coop and changed the bedding, the girls were all out free ranging and I saw sonya in an extra nest made in the bedding (beside the nest boxes) and she looked like she was brooding. Well I just went out there and one of the olive eggs was sitting there.

So I dont know if it was her and that the egg was already there and she was just sitting on it (cause they did not free range yesterday, so I am not sure about the egg that was in the other nest)

So I guess I have an olive egger, just not sure who it is!
big_smile.png

The plot thickens!

Actually, you may want to apply food-coloring to Pamela's vent to see if she really is the culprit. The color will get onto the egg, and it'll be easy to see what she's laying. I've also heard of lipstick being used too.... but that gives me the willies.

Back
Top Bottom