Who is our mother?

jennajolynne

Chirping
May 8, 2017
Upstate NY
DCEF6188-8231-49DC-B141-F8E230617D1B.jpeg Okay these babies were hatched from my eggs. My roo is a black copper maran. Hens I have include cukoo maran, Brahma, australorp, salmon faverolle, EE, silkie, buff orph, ISA brown, and polish (but they obviously aren’t polish). Who is the mother to these cuties? Any guesses?

Chick #1 has feathered feet, 4 toes, pea comb, and muffs/beard. Most likely the Easter Egger was the mother. The Faverolle would have passed on extra toes, and the Brahma doesn't have muffs.
Chick #2 is more difficult because of fewer defining characteristics. You can rule out the Silkies, Faverolles, Easter Egger, and Brahma. That leaves the Australorp, red sexlink, Orpington, and Cuckoo Marans (assuming she's clean legged). You'll have to wait a bit longer to narrow it down more.
Also, how certain are you that the rooster is purebred Black Copper Marans?

Chick #1 has feathered feet, 4 toes, pea comb, and muffs/beard. Most likely the Easter Egger was the mother. The Faverolle would have passed on extra toes, and the Brahma doesn't have muffs.
Chick #2 is more difficult because of fewer defining characteristics. You can rule out the Silkies, Faverolles, Easter Egger, and Brahma. That leaves the Australorp, red sexlink, Orpington, and Cuckoo Marans (assuming she's clean legged). You'll have to wait a bit longer to narrow it down more.

Super helpful! Thank you! Pretty positive my roo is purebred black copper maran.

3418221D-F071-4099-8547-D03F174F8DCB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom